WILMINGTON, MA — Below is a town job opportunity passed along by Town Hall:
Senior Clerk at Treasurer/Collector’s Office
Unit: ASFCME II Full Time (35 hours/week) Benefits Eligible
Reporting To: Treasurer/Collector
Location: Treasurer/Collector’s Office and Floater
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Five (5) days a week
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Assist the Treasury Department with administrative work as assigned in the collection of accounts receivable due to the town; in the receipt and disbursement of municipal funds; and with all other related work as required.
Works under the general direction of either the Deputy Treasurer/Collector or Assistant Treasurer:
- Performs clerical tasks that require the exercise of independent judgment and the ability to prioritize tasks with constant interruption.
- Must perform work efficiently and with a high degree of accuracy as errors could be costly in terms of financial loss or extra expense to the town and in possible municipal revenues.
- Makes frequent contact with banks, vendors, the general public and all town departments and must do so in a manner that promotes a positive working relationship with all parties.
- Assists with the billing and collection of all accounts receivable due to the town and performs account maintenance on accounts.
- Records payments; prepares daily, weekly, and monthly schedules of receipts; applies payments to accounts; and analyzes accounts in order to promote accuracy and efficiency.
- Prepares bank deposits on a frequent basis in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Performs similar tasks as assigned.
- Answers inquiries from members of the general public regarding bill payments and bills due the town.
- Assists with regular processing of municipal lien certificates and betterment release certificates, which includes interaction with attorneys’ offices, real estate brokers and property owners.
- Assists with tasks related to archiving of Treasury Dept. records, which requires the ability to carry boxes of paper records that may weigh up to 35 lbs. and includes accurately and efficiently placing records into storage boxes and placing storage boxes into storage areas.
- Assists the Department by performing tasks such as stuffing bills and notices into envelopes and preparing bills for mailing, which includes the ability to lift trays of mail that could weigh up to 35 lbs.
- High School Diploma, some college experience, and at least two years of experience in accounting, auditing, banking, or general finance in a setting dealing with the public; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General knowledge of the principals of internal control as they relate to handling of money.
- Ability to handle money accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with the public, vendors, other town employees and representatives of financial institutions.
- Ability to fluently read, write and speak the English language.
- Ability to prepare accurate financial reports and records using computerized software.
- Knowledge of computerized billing software and general office word processing and spreadsheet software programs and internet-based programs
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels. Noise levels may be elevated during certain programs or performances that may be scheduled in the building.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Susan L. Inman
Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director
Town Manager’s Office
Town of Wilmington
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887-3597
or via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Senior Clerk for Treasurer/Collector and Floater” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.