WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington is seeking a Fire Prevention Senior Clerk. The job listing is below and can be found HERE.
Unit: AFSCME II
Reporting To: Fire Chief or designee
Hours: 35 Hours, Monday – Friday
Location: Public Safety Building, 1 Adelaide Street
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Fire Prevention Senior Clerk position is responsible for providing higher level clerical support of a more-than-ordinary difficulty for department heads and staff.
Working under the supervision of the Fire Chief and/or designee:
- Schedules the Fire Prevention Officer for appointments that include, but are not limited to, inspections, walkthroughs, and permitting with all commercial properties, schools, senior living facilities, and residential properties.
- On a daily basis, determines and prepares permits for town businesses for the Fire Prevention Officer for businesses that are due to renew permits.
- Processes incoming permits for residential permits such as oil burner and tank installations and removals and propane installations. Schedules Fire Prevention Officer to inspect and complete said permits.
- Obtains proper payments for permits and records payment in IMC and department ledger.
- Schedules all Wilmington public and private school fire drills. May be required to attend and assist the Fire Prevention Officer with drills.
- Assists and attends Fire Prevention Week events at Wilmington Schools as directed by the Fire Prevention Officer.
- Research and schedule commercial properties in Wilmington that have not been previously scheduled for yearly inspections and permits.
- Assists the Deputy Chief with updating contact information for Wilmington businesses which may include general contacts, alarm companies and building owners.
- Assists the Deputy Chief with scheduling walk-throughs and inspections of Wilmington businesses. Assists the Deputy with any other tasks needed.
- On a daily basis, enters NFIRS information for all emergency calls for the Department. Communicates and follows up with Shift Lieutenant’s to ensure report completion. Sends month-end NFIRS report to the State.
- Greet visitors and customers, answer the telephone and general emails, answers basic questions and provide general information.
- Provides back up support to the Department Senior Clerk as necessary which will include but is not limited to payroll and attendance functions, scheduling 26F inspections, scheduling outside details, invoice processing, other permit processing, billing, and any other Department issues that may arise.
- Supports the Chief of the Department as necessary in absence of the Department Senior Clerk.
- Maintain department files in an orderly manner, file documents, and retrieve documents from files as requested.
- Perform other similar tasks or related works as assigned by the department head and designee.
- High School diploma.
- A minimum of two years of clerical or administrative experience in a customer service or municipal setting, or any equivalent combination of experience and education.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Susan L. Inman
Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If submitting by email please use “Position: Fire Prevention Senior Clerk” in the subject line. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.