WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington is seeking an Assistant Finance Director. The job listing is below and can be found HERE.
Unit: Non Union
Reporting To: Finance Director
Base Wages: MS-9, $69,284/annual to $87,669/annual
Hours: Town Hall hours, 8:30AM to 4:30PM M-F. Required to be available after-hours for meetings and other needs of the Town.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Under the general supervision of the Finance Director, performs high-level accounting functions in maintaining the fiscal records and systems of the Town.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides daily supervision to the Payroll Coordinator and Accounting Assistant.
- Acts as the Munis Enterprise Software System Coordinator (a.k.a. “Superuser”) with access to a wide variety of confidential information; including, but not limited to; employee pay data, collective bargaining data, citizen credit card information, payroll garnishments, etc.
- Performs a variety of accounting duties to track municipal budgets, prepares required reports and records, and provide information and assistance to Town departments on accounting and budgeting procedures.
- Monitors weekly, monthly, and annual financial reports of revenues and expenditures per fund, department, and line item. Conducts analysis of all reports to ensure compliance with established accounting policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Prepares monthly financial statements and reports including revenue, expenditure, general ledger, purchase order journal reports and payroll tax returns. Distributes to user departments and interprets as necessary.
- Prepares year-end spreadsheets for financial statements and the annual financial statement for the Town Report.
- Assists the Assistant Town Manager and Town Manager with financial preparation for collective bargaining; including, but not limited to; calculates cost of confidential Town and Union financial proposals; prepares comparability data for management; and attends collective bargaining sessions as requested.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual Operating and Capital budgets.
- Performs journal entries and budget adjustments as needed and reconciles cash with the Treasurer’s Office on a monthly basis.
- Responsible for preparation of Schedule A, statutory Year End Reporting to MA DOR, and assist with school reporting to DESE.
- Supervises Town payroll. May act as back-up in the absence of the Payroll Coordinator.
- Supports in the annual financial audit by working closely with the outside audit firm and providing supporting documentation and other requests. Manages the work of the external auditors, vendors, Massachusetts Department of Revenue, and other outside agencies in the performance of position responsibilities.
- Acts as back-up for accounts payable and performs other financial duties for the Department as required.
- Provides assistance on special projects.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required
The Assistant Finance Director is responsible for supervision of the Payroll Coordinator and Accounting Assistant.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Six years of responsibility in an accounting, payroll or other finance function. Bachelor’s degree in an accounting or related finance field required.
Ability to obtain certification through the Massachusetts Municipal Auditors’ and Accountants’ Association (MMAAA) within four (4) years of hire.
- Operations, services, and activities of a municipal accounting program, MUNIS experience is strongly preferred.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of accounting and auditing, including Uniform MA Accounting System (UMAS)
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Chapter 150 E collective bargaining statute.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and computer equipment.
- Supervise staff.
- Prepare complex financial data reports.
- Participate in confidential bargaining strategy discussions and meetings.
- Perform complex financial tasks.
- Operate computer and various software necessary for performing assigned duties.
- Interpret and apply Federal, State, and local regulations, as well as Town policies and procedures.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Communicate clearly, both orally and in writing, and maintain effective work relationships.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed in a normal office environment, not subject to extreme variations of temperature, noise, odors, etc. Operates computer, printer, photocopier, check folder/sealer, and other basic office equipment. Work requires extended periods of sitting, reaching, typing, and mousing, which requires eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity. May occasionally require lifting and/or moving objects up to 25 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Susan L. Inman
Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If submitting by email please use “Position: Assistant Finance Director” in the subject line. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.