Below is a job posting from the Town of Wilmington:
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
TREE CLIMBER II
Unit: AFSCME II
Reporting To: Director of Public Works
Hours: 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday
Location: DPW Operations, 135 Andover Street
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Manual arboricultural work of a very skilled nature in the care and maintenance of Town owned trees, shrubbery, and roadside vegetation involving aerial lift operation, skilled rope and saddle climbing, and rigging; all other related work as required.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Tree Division Working Foreman.
- Skilled in aerial bucket work, rope and saddle climbing, and rigging of trees during arboricultural operations.
- Performs a variety of routine and repetitive tasks, with work checked during progress and upon completion for satisfactory performance.
- Occasionally makes contact beyond immediate associates.
- Continuous and strenuous physical effort demanded in climbing, walking, bending, standing, and lifting or carrying equipment, tools and materials, while performing duties under varying weather conditions.
Examples of Work:
- Performs skilled work in assisting with the removal of town trees by regularly operating brush chippers, stump grinders, aerial lifts / bucket trucks, rigging ropes, and leverage devices.
- Climbs trees occasionally using rope and saddle to safely and skillfully perform tree rigging and removal operations. Ability to be trained on advanced techniques is a must.
- Performs all kinds of tree and landscape care including mowing, trimming, planting, pruning, fertilizing, tree removal and other operations involving rigging.
- Performs duties during regular work hours and during after-hours emergencies in all weather conditions, and in high and precarious places, and sometimes in the vicinity of electric lines, as needed.
- Sets up work zones by placing cones, work zone signage, and barricades as needed.
- Seeds, loams, fertilizes, rakes, weeds, mows and waters trees and lawn areas.
- Plants, trims, cuts and sprays hedges, shrubbery and flowers; rakes up and disposes of rubbish and leaves.
- Operates equipment such as bucket trucks, power-mowers, trucks, brush cutters, snow plows, chainsaws, and string trimmers.
- Experience with rope and saddle climbing for arboricultural operations is preferred.
- Performs light maintenance of equipment such as tuning up saws, sharpening chains, performing oil changes, lubricating equipment, and other light maintenance, as required.
- Participates in the Town’s snow and ice removal program by plowing snow and de-icing roadways and parking lots, and removes ice and snow from walks, drives, and pavements.
- Actively participates in training activities. Complies with safety requirements of ANSI Z133 safety standards for tree care.
- Assists in the work of the other DPW Divisions, as required. Does pick and shovel work in grading, patching or otherwise maintaining roadways; assists with rough work of excavating and sheathing trenches; assists in excavations and backfills holes, trenches and ditches; spreads sand or stone chips by hand or mechanical spreader; opens clogged sewers and catch basins, removes dirt and debris. May perform work on ball fields, parks, playgrounds, and cemetery.
- Performs a variety of unskilled tasks in connection with the physical maintenance of parking areas, streets and sewers; performs incidental unskilled manual laboring tasks as required, and performs other work of the Dept. of Public Works, as assigned.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
High school education; or any equivalent combination of education and experience of at least three years inthe tree care industry with knowledge of trees and shrubs, or of agriculture-related trades such as landscaping, arboriculture, and forestry. At least three (3) years’ experience with aerial lift and tree rigging required. Proficiency with rope and saddle climbing is desired.
Knowledge, Ability and Skills:
Ability to rope and saddle climb, perform tree rigging in tree canopies, and operate a bucket truck. Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds and to work continuously under varying weather conditions. Ability to understand and follow oral instructions. Ability to use hand tools and operate power equipment. Ability and knowledge of tree rigging ropes and arborist knots. Possession of class B or higher Motor Vehicle, commercial driver’s license, and a working knowledge of ANSI A300 arboriculture standards. Massachusetts Certified Arborist or ISA Certification, EHAP certification, and Massachusetts pesticide applicator’s license are preferred.
The work is mutually mental and physical. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear for extended periods. Frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reaches with hands and arms, crawls and climbs. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
Physical requirement checklist can be found HERE.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887 or
via email at: email@example.com
If submitting by email please use “Position: Tree Climber II Tree Division” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically and in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.