WILMINGTON, MA — According to Assistant Town Clerk Linda Golden, to date, only two residents have taken out nomination papers to run for office in the 2021 Town Election — School Committee incumbents Vice Chair David Ragsdale and Secretary MJ Byrnes.
Six seats are up for grabs in the April 24, 2021 election:
- ONE three-year seat on the Wilmington Board of Selectmen (currently held by Chairman Jonathan Eaton)
- TWO three-year seats on the Wilmington School Committee (currently held by David Ragsdale & MJ Byrnes)
- ONE three-year seat on the Shawsheen Tech School Committee (currently held by Jim Gillis)
- ONE three-year Wilmington Town Moderator position (currently held by Robert Peterson Jr., who has announced he is NOT seeking re-election)
- ONE five-year seat on the Wilmington Housing Authority (currently held by Chairman John Alefantis)
Nomination papers have been available since January 4, 2021. Papers with at least 50 valid signatures from Wilmington voters are due back to the Town Clerk by March 5, 2021.
MJ Byrnes, a mother of two and healthcare worker, is seeking her fourth term on the School Committee. She has served as the School Committee’s legislative representative for many years, advocating for the district at the State House. Byrnes also regularly serves as the district’s delegate to the annual Massachusetts Association of School Committee’s Delegate Assembly. She sits on several subcommittees, including the district’s Wellness Committee, and has served on many collective bargaining teams. Prior to joining the School Committee, she was an active member of the district’s SEPAC and volunteered on PACs and School Advisory Councils.
David Ragsdale, a father of three, is seeking his second term on the School Committee. He has worked for the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for the past 10 years. Prior to joining the Committee, he served on the Superintendent Search Committee that ultimately brought Dr. Glenn Brand to the district. Ragsdale, who currently serves as the Committee’s Vice Chair, has several subcommittee assignments, including Policy Subcommittee and the new Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Subcommittee.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.