WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Memorial Library is hiring an Assistant Librarian for Circulation Services. The job posting is below:
Unit: ASFCME II
Full Time (35 hours/week) Benefits Eligible
Reporting To: Library Director
Location: Wilmington Memorial Library
Hours: 35 hours per week, one evening and every third Saturday shift rotation required.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Paraprofessional librarian position responsible for work related to circulation services and all other related work as required.
Unique Essential Functions
Working under the general supervision of the Assistant Library Director:
- Provides excellent customer service by ensuring that circulation activities are well managed to service the public in a friendly and efficient manner.
- Oversees activities and tasks involved in the circulation of library materials including checkouts, returns, patron holds, interlibrary loan, etc.
- Monitors the timely and efficient shelving of library materials and ensures that the shelves are neat and in proper order.
- Monitors the retrieval of overdue library materials.
- Processes a variety of circulation reports using the ILS.
- Resolves any circulation problems or complaints.
- Trains and supervises library associates, library pages, and volunteers.
- Represents the library at Merrimack Valley Library Consortium circulation meetings.
- Performs a variety of tasks at the public service desk including answering the telephone, checking in and out library materials, registering patrons for library cards, programs, museum passes, etc.
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services; uses library’s OPAC and/or a variety of online tools tolocate requested information or reading material.
- Assists patrons in the use of library’s databases and electronic resources including how to download content to mobile devices.
- Assists patrons with computers, printers, copiers and other library equipment; troubleshoots as needed.
- Verbally promotes library services and programs; explains library policies in a clear and courteous manner.
- Assumes responsibility for the floor and/or building in the absence of senior staff.
- Assists in other departments and undertakes special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of library experience; or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Working knowledge of computer applications and current technologies; basic internet searching skills.
- General knowledge of popular and classic literature and interest in reading and books.
- Ability to set priorities and complete projects independently.
- Ability to collaborate and work as a member of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and public relations skills.
- Strong commitment to excellent customer service.
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels. Noise levels may be elevated during busy periods and/or during programs that may be scheduled in the building. Work schedule includes regular evening and rotating Saturday hours. Requires driving to other communities for meetings and workshops.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds, and push a cart which at full load may be up to 300 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources DirectorTown Manager’s Office
Town of Wilmington
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887-3597
or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If submitting by email please use “Assistant Librarian Circulation Services” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.