WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Memorial Library is hiring an Assistant Librarian to work in its Children’s Services Department. The job posting is below.
ASSISTANT LIBRARIAN CHILDREN’S SERVICES
WILMINGTON MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Unit: ASFCME II Full Time (35 hours/week) Benefits Eligible
Reporting To: Library Director
Location: Wilmington Memorial Library
Hours: 35 hours per week, one evening and every third Saturday shift rotation required.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Paraprofessional librarian position responsible for work related to the development delivery of children’s library services and all other related work as required.
- Working independently under general supervision of the Youth Services Librarian
- Creates a welcoming environment for children that supports an enjoyable and enriching experience of the library and its resources.
- Plans and presents story times and a variety of programs of interest to children, generally preschool to fifth grade.
- Contacts and books performers and skilled resource people to present specialized programs for children and parents.
- Participates in collection development activities include book selection and weeding.
- Collaborates with teachers, school librarians, and other agencies providing services for children.
- Visits schools and daycares to present story time, library instruction, etc.
- Creates thematic and seasonal book displays.
- Develops booklists and guides to other library resources.
- Supervises library associate, library pages and volunteers in the absence of the Youth Services Librarian.
- Performs a variety of tasks at the public service desk including answering the telephone, checking in and out library materials, registering patrons for library cards, programs, museum passes, etc.
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services; uses library’s OPAC and/or a variety of online tools to locate requested information or reading material.
- Assists patrons in the use of library’s databases and electronic resources including how to download content to mobile devices.
- Assists patrons with computers, printers, copiers and other library equipment; troubleshoots as needed.
- Verbally promotes library services and programs; explains library policies in a clear and courteous manner.
- Assumes responsibility for the floor and/or building in the absence of senior staff.
- Assists in other departments and undertakes special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of library experience; or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Working knowledge of computer applications and current technologies; basic internet searching skills.
- General knowledge of children’s literature and interest in reading and books.
- Ability to set priorities and complete projects independently.
- Ability to collaborate and work as a member of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and public relations skills.
- Strong commitment to excellent customer service.
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels. Noise levels may be elevated during busy periods and/or during programs that may be scheduled in the building. Work schedule includes regular evening and rotating Saturday hours. Requires driving to other communities for meetings and workshops.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds, and push a cart which at full load may be up to 300 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director Town Manager’s Office
Town of Wilmington
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887-3597
or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If submitting by email please use “Assistant Librarian Children’s Services” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.