WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington’s Department of Public Works is hiring a Highway Division Equipment Operator:
HIGHWAY DIVISION EQUIPMENT OPERATOR III
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Reporting To: Director of Public Works
Hours: 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday Location: DPW Operations, 135 Andover
Street Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Equipment Operator III is responsible for the routine and manual labor required for the maintenance, repair and/or construction of town roads, sidewalks, drainage, storm water systems, and other infrastructure.
Working under the direction of the Foreman, perform the following functions:
• Perform manual labor duties including but not limited to pick and shovel work, rough excavating and sheathing trenches, excavating and backfilling holes, trenches, and ditches, spreading material by hand or machine, performing preventative maintenance and repair of clogged sewers and catch basins, working on ball fields, playgrounds, parks, and in the cemetery.
• Operate specialized equipment including but not limited to, trucks of all kinds, snow plow and sand spreader.
• Perform labor incidental to the work of operating equipment including changing plow blades, washing and cleaning vehicles and equipment, and other tasks.
• Load, unload, and transport materials, tools, equipment, supplies and workmen.
• Operate tools and small equipment including but not limited to sidewalk rollers, compressors, chain saws, sidewalk sweepers, and line painters.
• Perform unskilled labor tasks in connection with physical maintenance of parking areas, streets, sewers, parks, and cemetery.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or GED
• Massachusetts Commercial Driver’s License
• General knowledge of mechanics and operation of automotive equipment
• Some knowledge or experience in street construction, water distribution, and/or sewer collection system infrastructure preferred.
Work is performed generally outdoors. May be subjected to loud noise and exposure to extremes of heat and cold temperatures and inclement weather. Required to traverse uneven terrain, may be required to bend or stoop and is subject to one or more hazards such as those associated with working near or with heavy equipment and machinery.
The work is mutually mental and physical. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear for extended periods. Frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reaches with hands and arms, crawls and climbs. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 100 pounds.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Kerry Colburn-Dion
Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources 121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If submitting by email please use “Custodial Worker WHS “in the subject line. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.