WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington recently posted the following job listing for the Senior Clerk position in the Office of Building Inspector & Board of Appeals.
OFFICE OF THE BUILDING INSPECTOR & BOARD OF APPEALS
UNION: ASFCME II
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time (35 hours/week) Benefits Eligible
EFFECTIVE: Start Date January 2019
SALARY RANGE: $786.66/weekly – $995.40/weekly
HOURS: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Five (5) days a week, Attendance at Evening Meetings Required
QUALIFICATIONS: See attached Position Description.
TO APPLY: Submit resume and Town of Wilmington application to the Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources.
POST: October 10, 2018
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 26, 2018
The Senior Clerk position is responsible for providing higher level clerical support of a more-than-ordinary-difficulty to department heads and staff.
Working under the supervision of the Building Inspector as Senior Clerk – Office of Building Inspector:
• Schedules daily appointments for the building, electrical and plumbing inspectors, tracks inspection schedules for inspectors and generates weekly inspection schedule reports.
• Upgrades and maintains permit database. Enters permit data into the database, prints out and issues permits, checks over applications and insurance affidavits and other related material. Prints out inspection cards and monthly plumbing, gas and electrical tallies. Files all permits and related materials.
• Receives, records and submits fees to the Treasurer. Maintains and updates records pertaining to fees and permits and submits monthly reports.
• Calculates and submits weekly payroll and attendance sheets. Tracks all bills and submits to Accounting Office. Orders office supplies and all printed forms.
• Upgrades and maintains annual permitting for both building and electrical inspectors. Enters data into databases, schedules inspections, prints Yearly Electrical and Assembly permits and reports. Upgrades and maintains Certificate of Occupancy database and print out permits. Files all permits and inspection cards issued by the department.
• Reviews and upgrades databases, spreadsheets, reports and programs for the office.
• Researches, types, photocopies and tracks all correspondence regarding violations, zoning and other related department information.
• Answers telephones and provides customer service to the public.
• Assists Board of Health staff with general office duties.
• Performs other similar tasks or related works as assigned by the department head and/or designee.
Working as administrative support to the Zoning Board of Appeals:
• Coordinates between the Board, Town Counsel, opposing counsel and Town departments. Reviews all applications and supporting documentation to ensure they are complete. Answers telephone calls and inquires pertaining to meetings, applications, appeal process, zoning and legal issues.
• Provides assistance with regulations, applications and other related information.
• Sends out notices to abutters and Town departments, surrounding Town Planning Boards and the local newspaper.
• Submits money to the Treasurer and maintains records pertaining to fees, case files, and decisions.
• Types and distributes all decisions, agendas, hearing notices, reports and correspondence. Maintains files of all cases, reports and correspondence. Writes and files minutes of all Board of Appeals meetings.
• High School diploma. Associates degree preferred.
• A minimum of two years of clerical or administrative experience in a customer service or municipal setting, or any equivalent combination of experience and education.
• Ability to work independently with the citizen Zoning Board of Appeals.
• Ability to attend mandatory night meetings.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service and work effectively with the public.
• Experience with Microsoft Office products and ability to effectively utilize Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint and other standard administrative software.
• Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing.
• Ability to exercise initiative and use good judgment, work with limited direction in the completion of tasks and assignments.
• Ability to organize and perform multiple tasks effectively.
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels. Noise levels may be elevated during certain programs or performances that may be scheduled in the building.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.