WILMINGTON, MA — As Wilmington Apple reported yesterday, 13 potential candidates have emerged for the 19th Middlesex District House of Representatives seat previously held by the late Jim Miceli. These candidates have until tomorrow (Tuesday, May 1) at 5pm to submit their nomination papers — with at least 150 certified signatures of district voters — to their local Town Clerk Offices.
As of 4:30pm on Monday, NO new candidates have emerged since Wilmington Apple‘s last update, based on information provided by the Secretary of State’s Office. Several existing candidates, however, have begun submitting their nomination papers ahead of Tuesday’s deadline.
According to the Tewksbury Town Clerk’s Office, Mark Kratman (D-Tewksbury), Dave Robertson (D-Tewksbury) Catherine Gover (D-Wilmington), and Erin Buckley (R-Tewksbury) have all submitted nomination papers to their office.
According to the Wilmington Town Clerk’s Office, Mike McCoy (D-Wilmington), Dave Robertson (D-Tewksbury), Catherine Gover (D-Wilmington), and Erin Buckley (R-Tewksbury) have also all submitted nomination papers to their office.
According to announcements they’ve made on social media, candidates Judy O’Connell (D-Wilmington) and Erika Johnson (D-Wilmington) are both wrapping up the process of collecting the necessary signatures.
Signatures are being certified by each Town Clerk’s Office as they’re submitted. Wilmington Apple hopes to have the confirmed list of official candidates — who have met the necessary certified signature minimum — shortly after Tuesday’s 5pm deadline. (This may depend, however, on when nomination papers are submitted on Tuesday.)
Here is where the race currently stands:
Potential Candidates From Wilmington:
- Wilmington Selectman & Jim Miceli’s nephew Mike McCoy (D) — submitted nomination papers
- Former Wilmington Selectwoman & School Committee member Judy O’Connell (D) — plans on submitting nomination papers
- Wilmington Democratic Town Committee Chair Erika Johnson (D) — plans on submitting nomination papers
- Former Everett City Councilor Catherine Gover (D) — submitted nomination papers
Town Moderator Rob Peterson (D) pulled nomination papers, but — after consulting with his wife and family — has decided the time would not be right to run for higher office. He has decided not to return his nomination papers. The same can be said for Daniel Murphy (D), a college professor active in local and state Democratic circles.
Potential Candidates From Tewksbury:
- Jim Miceli’s Chief of Staff Dave Robertson (D) — submitted nomination papers
- Tewksbury Selectman Mark Kratman (D) — submitted nomination papers
- Tewksbury Finance Committee member Erin Buckley (R) — submitted nomination papers
- Shawsheen Tech School Committee member Patricia Meuse (I) — have not submitted nomination papers yet
- Noah Doucot (I) — have not submitted nomination papers yet [NOTE: Doucot pulled his papers back in February]
Tewksbury Board of Health member George Ferdinand (D) pulled nomination papers, but has already announced he will not be returning them.
One Candidate Is Already On The Ballot:
Pina Prinzivalli (R-Tewksbury) is already assured a spot on the Republican primary ballot. She declared her candidacy back in October, and has already submitted her nomination papers earlier this month.
The State Primary Election is scheduled for Tuesday, September 4, 2018. The State General Election is scheduled for Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
The 19th Middlesex District consists of Wilmington Precincts 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6 and Tewksbury Precincts 1, 1A, 2, 2A, 4 and 4A.
Check back with Wilmington Apple for frequent updates as the race continues to take shape.
(NOTE: The article’s cover photo is of Wilmington Selectman Mike McCoy and his daughter Jocelyn collecting signatures at Market Basket on Saturday. Photo is courtesy of Paul Oliver Photography.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.