WILMINGTON, MA — With just three days before the Nomination Paper Filing Deadline, it is now official that Wilmington will see contested elections for both the Board of Selectmen (1 seat) and School Committee (2 seats) this April.
Most recent developments include School Committee candidate Jesse Fennelly and Housing Authoirty incumbent Robert DiPasqualoe successfully submitting their nomination papers. Additionally, the Town Clerk’s Office recently certified the signatures on Selectman candidate Rob Fasulo’s nomination papers.
Worth noting, the Town Clerk’s Office has confirmed that resident Joseph Infantino has withdrawn from the Selectmen’s race and has no intentions of returning his nomination papers.
Two big questions now remain before Friday’s deadline. (1) Will Joseph Mastrangelo, who pulled nomination papers to run for Selectmen on February 22, return his papers before the deadline? (2) Will a last minute candidate emerge and join any of the races?
With just days before nomination papers filing deadline, below is the latest on how things currently stand:
Wilmington Board of Selectmen — 1 seat — 3-year term
- Jonathan Eaton (challenger) — pulled papers on 1/2 — papers returned on 2/14 — signatures certified on 2/21
- Joseph Infantino (challenger) — pulled papers on 1/18 — withdrew from race
- Joseph R. Mastrangelo — pulled papers on 2/22 — papers not yet returned & certified
- Robert A. Fasulo, Jr. — pulled papers on 2/22 — papers returned on 2/26 — signatures certified on 2/27
NOTES: Incumbent Mike Champoux has announced he will NOT be seeking re-election. Infantino has told the Lowell Sun he may not return his nomination papers.
Wilmington School Committee — 2 seats — 3-year term
- Mary Jayne (MJ) Byrnes (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/3 — papers returned on 2/15 – signatures certified on 2/21
- Jesse Fennelly (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/5 — papers returned on 2/27 — signatures certified on 2/27
- David Ragsdale (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/13 — papers returned on 2/20 — signatures certified on 2/21
Wilmington Town Moderator — 1 seat — 3-year term
- Robert G. Peterson, Jr. (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/11 — papers returned on 2/22 — signatures certified on 2/28
Shawsheen Tech School Committee — 1 seat — 3-year term
- James Gillis (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/9 — papers returned on 2/21 — signatures certified on 2/23
Wilmington Housing Authority Seat — 1 seat — 5-year term
- Robert C. DiPasquale (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/9 — papers returned on 3/5 — signatures not yet certified
Nomination papers have been available in the Town Clerk’s Office since January 2. Papers, with at least 50 valid signatures from Wilmington voters, are due back to the Town Clerk by Friday, March 9.
The Wilmington Town Clerk’s Office, located at Town Hall, is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
The Annual Town Election will be held on Saturday, April 28. Polls will be open from 8am to 8pm.
NOTE TO CANDIDATES & CAMPAIGNS: Got announcements, press releases, letters to the editor, etc.? Email email@example.com.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.