WILMINGTON, MA — What a difference 24 hours make! The number of candidates vying for a seat on the Board of Selectmen doubled since yesterday’s Town Election update.
Residents Robert Fasulo, Jr. and Joseph Mastrangelo both pulled nomination papers on Thursday, February 22. Fasulo is a father of three, owner of Honey Pot Farm in town with his wife Melissa, and a state investigator. Mastrangelo brings an “outsider” perspective, having just moved to town four month ago. He works as a Technical Product Manager for a consumer health software company.
Fasulo and Mastrangelo join Finance Committee member Jonathan Eaton and Joseph Infantino in a race vying for the seat currently held by outgoing Selectman Mike Champoux. Eaton has already returned his nomination papers, which were certified by the Town Clerk’s Office earlier this week. Infantino, on other hand, has publicly indicated he’s unlikely to return his nomination papers, essentially dropping out of the race.
Fasulo, Mastrangelo and Infantino have until March 9 to return nomination papers with at least 50 signatures from Wilmington voters in order to officially get on the ballot.
With two weeks until the nomination papers filing deadline, below is the latest on how things currently stand:
Wilmington Board of Selectmen — 1 seat — 3-year term
- Jonathan Eaton (challenger) — pulled papers on 1/2 — papers returned on 2/14 — signatures certified on 2/21
- Joseph Infantino (challenger) — pulled papers on 1/18 — papers not yet returned & certified
- Joseph R. Mastrangelo — pulled papers on 2/22 — papers not yet returned & certified
- Robert A. Fasulo, Jr. — pulled papers on 2/22 — papers not yet returned & certified
NOTES: Incumbent Mike Champoux has announced he will NOT be seeking re-election. Infantino has told the Lowell Sun he may not return his nomination papers.
Wilmington School Committee — 2 seats — 3-year term
- Mary Jayne (MJ) Byrnes (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/3 — papers returned on 2/15 – signatures certified on 2/21
- Jesse Fennelly (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/5 — papers not yet returned & certified
- David Ragsdale (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/13 — papers returned on 2/20 — signatures certified on 2/21
Wilmington Town Moderator — 1 seat — 3-year term
- Robert G. Peterson, Jr. (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/11 — papers not yet returned & certified
Shawsheen Tech School Committee — 1 seat — 3-year term
- James Gillis (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/9 — papers returned on 2/21 — signatures not yet certified
Wilmington Housing Authority Seat — 1 seat — 5-year term
- Robert C. DiPasquale (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/9 — papers not yet returned & certified
Nomination papers have been available in the Town Clerk’s Office since January 2. Papers, with at least 50 valid signatures from Wilmington voters, are due back to the Town Clerk by Friday, March 9.
The Wilmington Town Clerk’s Office, located at Town Hall, is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
The Annual Town Election will be held on Saturday, April 28. Polls will be open from 8am to 8pm.
NOTE TO CANDIDATES & CAMPAIGNS: Got announcements, press releases, letters to the editor, etc.? Email email@example.com.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.