WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington just published a job posting for a full-time Substance Abuse Program Coordinator. Read the posting HERE or below:
Substance Abuse Program Coordinator
Full-Time: 40 hours per week
Full Salary Range*: MS-8; $1,069 – $1,353 / week with, Full Benefits
*Candidate’s starting salary will depend on qualifications and internal equity with existing staff.
A Master’s degree in Health Education, Public Health, Clinical Social Work, or related content area strongly preferred; a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor 11 (LADC 11) in Massachusetts preferred; Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) also preferred; a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in counseling in a substance abuse program; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with grant writing preferred.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment. When on calls for service with the Police Department, attends crisis visits within the community at any time during the day or night.
Candidates will also undergo a pre-employment physical, background and CORI screening.
Application deadline is Friday, May 26, 2017.
To obtain the Town’s required application go to the Town’s website (www.wilmingtonma.gov), call (978) 658-3311, or visit the Town Manager’s Office at 121 Glen Road, Wilmington, MA 01887. Please submit the Town’s required application, cover letter and resume to: Assistant Town Manager, Wilmington Town Hall, 121 Glen Road, Wilmington, MA 01887. Applications and resumes may also be submitted electronically as a PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please note “Substance Abuse Program Coordinator” in the subject line.
Substance Abuse Program Coordinator
Reporting To: Police Chief
Classification: MS -8
Hours: 40 Hours Per Week
FLSA Status: Exempt
A primary responsibility is interacting with individuals engaged in substance abuse and
interacting with their family members to make initial assessments as to the conditions
contributing to the substance abuse. The Coordinator will work one-on-one with the individual and family members to coordinate access to resources which may include education, counseling, clinical treatment and inpatient medical care. The Coordinator will not establish medical provider/patient relationships but will be responsible to follow-up with individuals and family members after the referrals have been made to medical providers. Additionally the Substance Abuse Coordinator is expected to develop strong partnerships with area organizations that address addiction, treatment and rehabilitation. A third major responsibility is working in coordination with Town departments to develop programs and forums to educate Wilmington residents about steps to prevent addiction and substance abuse and to provide resources to access
when individuals are struggling with substance abuse and the financial, social and emotional impacts.
- Working closely with the Public Safety Departments, provide one-to-one crisis intervention to substance abusers or those with related mental health issues. Provide support in accessing appropriate inpatient/outpatient treatments centers providing medical intervention and detoxification/ rehabilitation treatments and other mental health therapies. Provide on-going support to individuals returning to the community;
- Provide counseling support to families impacted by addiction and other mental health issues; create and facilitate meetings, programs and open discussion groups that provide information and support to those impacted by the destructive impact of addiction on family members;
- Provide multiple resources for recovery support such as job counseling, mental health counseling, group therapy, transportation, and life skills training for addicts and families impacted by addiction;
- Continue to develop and sustain a network of providers in the social services and medical communities that would enable the Coordinator to have a pool of resources to use as referrals; and
- Perform all other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Promote community awareness and understanding concerning the issues of addiction, substance abuse and mental health by:
- Making information available to those seeking counseling resources and therapeutic programs that address addiction and rehabilitation issues;
- Help develop and promote informational forums for all community members, and particularly individuals and families impacted by addiction, substance abuse and related mental health issues. This will be achieved in conjunction with other Town Departments such as Board of Health, Elder Services, Veterans Services and the Public Safety Department.
- Build partnerships with multiple constituencies in the community including the Public Safety Departments, the Health Department, Elder Services, Veterans Department and the Wilmington Public Schools to promote education, awareness and understanding of substance abuse and related mental health issues
- Develop partnerships with area businesses, local organizations and other municipal and state organizations that share the mission of addressing addiction or are able to support this mission; strengthen local programming and substance abuse networking by sharing best practices.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstrated professionalism and maturity to handle confidential and sensitive personal information and issues, as well as a willingness to participate in crisis interventions in home settings.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals whose communication may be impaired by severe emotional stress. The ability to listen to individuals and family members with compassion and understanding.
- Excellent judgment and substantial experience dealing with matters of addiction.
- Excellent organizational skills, self-starter and motivational with the ability to adapt to diverse situations.
- The ability to establish positive public relations and build collaboration within the Town of Wilmington
- Knowledge of local and state regulations as they pertain to mental health hospitalizations, health insurance coverage, and child welfare laws.
- Involves local travel to assist in interventions. May attend meetings in other local communities or organizations.
- Involves flexible schedule to meet the demand and needs of the community; anticipate evening and weekend activities.
Education and Experience
A Master’s degree in Health Education, Public Health, Clinical Social Work, or related content area strongly preferred; a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor 11 (LADC 11) in Massachusetts preferred; Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) also preferred; a minimum of 3-5 years experience in counseling in a substance abuse program; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with grant writing preferred.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
In the Field:
When on calls for service with the Police Department, attends crisis visits within the community at any time during the day or night.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.