READING, MA — Reading Municipal Light Department (RMLD) recently launched its Shred the Peak campaign to educate customers about the impact of peak demand on RMLD’s future costs and in turn, customer’s electric bills. Peak demand is the one hour during the year where the highest level of electricity is consumed by this New England region. By reducing the level of electricity consumed during the peak demand hour, RMLD’s transmission and capacity costs will be reduced, helping to keep RMLD electric bills low.
As part of its Shred the Peak campaign, RMLD will hold free educational sessions for RMLD customers at area libraries during the month of May. Light refreshments will be served, and each attendee will receive a complimentary energy saving kit. The schedule is as follows:
- Reading – Monday, May 8, 2017, 6:00pm: Reading Public Library – Conference Room
- Lynnfield – Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 6:30pm: Lynnfield Public Library
- North Reading – Thursday, May 11, 2017, 6:00pm: Flint Memorial Library – Activity Room
- Wilmington – Monday, May 15, 2016, 6:00pm: Wilmington Memorial Library – Large Conference Room
Please join us and help RMLD Shred the Peak!
The success of the Shred the Peak initiative depends heavily on customer participation. RMLD customers can help Shred the Peak by taking the following steps:
- GET NOTIFIED when peak demand is predicted. Sign up for email alerts at RMLD.com or follow RMLD on Twitter (@ReadingLight). When peak demand is predicted, we’ll email and tweet to notify customers. Peak demand typically occurs on a hot weekday afternoon from June to August between the hours of 2pm and 7pm. Peak demand will be predicted multiple times during the summer to ensure the actual peak is captured.
- CONSERVE during the predicted peak. Turn off lights and electronics when they’re not needed, postpone using appliances such as washers, dryers, and dishwashers, shut off pool pumps for a few hours, raise the temperature setting on your air conditioner by a few degrees, and cook dinner on the grill.
For more energy saving tips, visit HERE.
Watch for additional education sessions to be scheduled for later in May and June at senior centers within RMLD’s service territory; dates and times to be announced.
For more information on RMLD’s Shred the Peak program, visit HERE.
(NOTE: The above press release is from RMLD.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.