BILLERICA, MA – The Middlesex Canal Association will hold its Spring Canal Walk on Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 1:30pm.
The Spring Walk will commence at the Museum (71 Faulkner Street, North Billerica).
The walk covers the Canal from North Billerica to Chelmsford.
Sites will include:
- the large stone with iron rings that anchored the west end of the Floating Towpath, which once enabled boats to cross the summit pond at the
- the recently renovated Guard Lock in the Talbot Millyard, which controlled the level of water in the canal north to the Merrimack
- the Turning Basin, which enabled 75′ long canal boats to turn into the Red Lock, to take the Concord River north.
The walk is a round trip of 5 miles.
Henry Thoreau traveled on this part of the canal September 1, 1839 and wrote of it: “in the lapse of ages, Nature will recover and indemnify herself, and gradually plant fit shrubs and flowers along its borders. Already the kingfisher sat upon a pine over the water, and the bream and pickerel swam below. Thus all works pass directly out of the hands of the architect into the hands of Nature, to be perfected.”
(NOTE: The above announcement is from the Middlesex Canal Museum’s Facebook page.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.