WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington recently posted the following job listing for the Senior Clerk position in the Office of Building Inspector & Board of Appeals.
OFFICE OF THE BUILDING INSPECTOR & BOARD OF APPEALS
Unit: AFSCME II
Reporting To: Inspector of Buildings
Base Wage Range starting at: S-4 $883.50/weekly
Hours: 35 Hours, Monday – Friday
Location: Town Hall, 121 Glen Road
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Senior Clerk position is responsible for providing higher level clerical support to department head and staff.
Working under the supervision of the Building Inspector as Senior Clerk – Office of Building Inspector:
- Schedules daily appointments for the building, electrical and plumbing inspectors, tracks inspection schedules for inspectors and generates weekly inspection schedule reports.
- Upgrades and maintains permit database. Reviews applications and insurance affidavits and other related materials. Prints out inspection cards and monthly plumbing, gas, and electrical tallies.
- Receives, records, and submits fees to the Treasurer and submits weekly and monthly reports.
- Calculates and submits weekly payroll and attendance sheets. Tracks all bills and submits to Accounting Office.
- Orders office supplies.
- Upgrades and maintains annual permitting for both building and electrical inspectors. Enters data into databases, schedules inspections, prints Yearly Electrical and Assembly permits and reports. Upgrades and maintains Certificate of Occupancy database and print out permits.
- Research, types, photocopies, and tracks all correspondence regarding violations, zoning, and other related department information.
- Answers telephones and provides customer service to the public.
- Assists Board of Health staff with general office duties.
- Performs other similar tasks or related works as assigned by the department head and/or designee.
Working as administrative support to the Zoning Board of Appeals:
- Coordinates between the Board, Town Counsel, opposing counsel and Town departments. Reviews all applications and supporting documentation to ensure they are complete. Answers telephone calls and inquires pertaining to meetings, applications, appeal process, zoning, and legal issues.
- Aids with regulations, applications, and other related information.
- Sends out notices to abutters and Town departments, surrounding Town Planning Boards and the local newspaper.
- Submits money to the Treasurer and maintains records pertaining to fees, case files, and decisions.
- Types and distributes all decisions, agendas, hearing notices, reports and correspondence and maintains files.
- Writes and files minutes of all Board of Appeals meetings.
- High School diploma. Associates degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years of clerical or administrative experience in a customer service or municipal setting, or any equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Ability to work independently with the citizen Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Ability to attend mandatory night meetings.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work effectively with the public.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products and ability to effectively utilize Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint and other standard administrative software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise initiative and use good judgment, work with limited direction in the completion of tasks and assignments.
- Ability to organize and perform multiple tasks effectively.
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels. Noise levels may be elevated during certain programs or performances that may be scheduled in the building.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887 or via
If submitting by email, please use “Position: Office of the Inspector of Buildings & Board of Appeals Senior Clerk” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically and in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.