WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington DPW is hiring a Groundsman for its Parks & Grounds Division. The job posting is below and can also be found HERE.
PARKS & GROUNDS
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Unit: AFSCME II
Reporting To: Director of Public Works
Hours: 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday
Location: DPW Operations, 135 Andover Street
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Manual work in the care of Town-owned grounds; all other related work as required.
- Works under the direct supervision of Parks & Grounds Foreman (Head Groundsman)
- Performs a variety of routine and repetitive tasks, with work checked during progress and upon completion for satisfactory performance.
- Makes few contacts beyond immediate associates.
- Continuous and strenuous physical effort demanded in walking, bending, standing and lifting or carrying equipment, tools and materials while performing duties under varying weather conditions.
Examples of Work:
- Performs manual work in digging and in back-filling excavations; handles heavy materials on maintenance and repair projects.
- Seeds, loams, fertilizes, rakes, rolls, weeds, mows and waters lawn areas.
- Plants, trims and cuts hedges, shrubbery and flowers; rakes up and disposes of rubbish and leaves.
- Drags and marks playing fields and works on irrigation systems.
- Operates equipment such as power-mowers, light trucks, brush cutters, snow plows, power saws, line painters, small tractors and other parks and grounds equipment.
- Maintains and marks play fields; maintains tennis courts and skating rinks; repairs and paints benches, back stops and bleachers; installs and maintains playground equipment.
- Plows snow and removes ice and snow from walks, drives and pavements.
- Transports and sets up staging and risers; moves furniture and equipment.
- Performs other work of the Department of Public Works as directed by the Director of Public Works, Operations Manager, and Operations Supervisor.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- High School education; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Background in agronomy, turf management, or related course work a plus.
Knowledge, Ability, Skill:
- Ability to lift heavy objects and to work continuously under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Ability to use hand tools and operate power equipment.
- Possession of CDL required.
- Possession of a pesticide license and hoisting license preferred but not required.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at: email@example.com
If submitting by email please use “Position: Groundsman II Parks & Grounds Division” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically and in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.