WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington is hiring a Night Custodial Worker at the Middle School:
TOWN OF WILMINGTON PUBLIC BUILDINGS DEPARTMENT CUSTODIAL WORKER
Unit: AFSCME I
Reporting To: Superintendent of Public Buildings or designee
Location: Middle School. Location subject to change.
Hours: 2:30PM to 10:30PM. School Vacation Hours are 7:00AM to 3:30PM. Hours are subject to change.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Definition: A semi-skilled custodial worker that has knowledge of the routine, preventative, and overall care and maintenance of public buildings.
Working under the supervision of the Superintendent of Public Buildings and Assistant Superintendent of Public Buildings or their designee and working in town buildings and schools:
- Perform routine cleaning including but not limited to sweep floors, dust, vacuum rugs, wash floors and walls, clean restrooms, empty waste baskets and recycling containers.
- Monitor building systems such as heating and cooling and identify any issues or needs for repairs or maintenance of equipment. When possible correct errors or take action to prevent damage to the building.
- Perform additional cleaning including wash windows, strip, wax and buff floors, paint surfaces, move and setup furniture, and polish and wax furniture.
- Shovel and operate a snow blower to remove snow from walkways, stairs, and other areas as needed around the building. Clear and treat ice covered surfaces.
- Replace light bulbs, assess repair needs for building and perform minor repairs to building, equipment, and furniture.
- Make requisitions of supplies and equipment needed for the cleaning and general maintenance of the building.
- Submit work order requests for specific maintenance requests for other personnel.
- Accept and unload deliveries.
- Secure the building when required.
- Assist Fire Personnel in the investigation of alarms.
- Perform work under general supervision and be responsible for using own judgment to determine methods and procedures to accomplish work effectively.
- Make frequent contact with other town personnel, school children, or the general public. May have access to areas where restricted confidential information is kept and must abide by all requirements regarding confidentiality.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Massachusetts’ driver’s license.
- Six months experience in janitorial, custodial, or maintenance work.
- Ability to perform moderately heavy manual labor.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use hand tools.
- Ability to read and understand instructions, gauges, and other written information.
- General knowledge of cleaning materials and methods.
Work is performed both inside and outside. May be exposed to extremes of heat and cold temperatures and inclement weather. There is some exposure to chemicals associated with cleaners and cleaning supplies. Work environment will be moderately noisy and at times very loud due to building related activities, use of cleaning equipment, and working around HVAC systems.
The work is physical in nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, talk, crouch, kneel, stoop, and hear for extended periods. Frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reaches with hands and arms, crawls, and climbs. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Position: Night Custodial Worker – Middle School” in the subject line. Resume and cover letter, or application may be attached to the email.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.