Unit: AFSCME II
Reporting To: Director of Public Works
Hours: 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday
Location: DPW Operations, 135 Andover Street
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Skilled maintenance and repair work on automotive, diesel, fire equipment, Public Safety vehicles and other electrical and mechanical equipment; all other related work as required.
Works under general supervision of the Mechanic Foreman.
- Exercises a considerable degree of independent judgment in repair methods and replacement of parts.
- Makes frequent contacts beyond immediate coworkers.
- Errors could result in damage to equipment, failure of equipment under operating conditions or injury to operators or others.
- Work is performed under typical garage and yard conditions, and requires continual mental and physical effort. Safety for oneself, coworkers and others is paramount.
Examples of Work:
- Diagnoses issues with cars, trucks and associated/attached equipment, then makes appropriate repairs.
- Performs mechanical and electrical overhaul of mobile or stationary equipment; assembles and disassembles gasoline and diesel engines, motors, adjusts brakes, repairs electrical systems.
- Replaces brakes, wheel bearings, axel bearings, universal joints, starters, injectors in diesel engines; packs hydraulic cylinders.
- Charges and replaces batteries; checks electrical systems; lubricates equipment; changes oil.
- Repairs and mounts tires, snow plows and sanding or salting equipment on trucks or tractors.
- Inspects all equipment and vehicles for inspection stickers prior to State inspection.
- Performs preventive maintenance operations on a monthly basis or as needed; greases and oils vehicles; changes tires and batteries; does minor body work, welding tasks at times are necessary.
- Performs incidental storekeeping work with relation to parts, tools and supplies; assists in keeping inventory of parts.
- May instruct operators as to care and operation of complex equipment and in emergency or as assigned may operate such equipment.
- Operates Scan & Diagnostic tools; code readers, tire pressure monitors, etc.
- Uses software to maintain vehicle records, ability to search online for research and parts ordering.
- Occasionally operates trucks to plow snow; may operate more complex equipment in emergency or as assigned. Working outside of normal operating hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays is occasionally required to tend to emergency situations. Working during snowstorms and other emergency weather related events is required.
Education and Experience: High school graduation; training in mechanic and automotive repair work to the journeyman level; Five years of experience in maintenance and repair of varied equipment such as is characteristic of public works operations; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Working knowledge of the principles and operation of gasoline and diesel engines, small engines, and hydraulics in connection with large construction equipment; skill in diagnosing and determining adjustments or repairs to correct the malfunctioning of a diversity of mechanical equipment ranging from small engines, gas engines, diesels, and hydraulic hoisting equipment. Proficient with the use of scan tools that are available.
Class B CDL (minimum) is required or must be obtained within 6 months of appointment.
Tools are supplied by the employer.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Position: Mechanic” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically and in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.