Dear Members of the Wilmington Community,
In May of 2020, the Wilmington School Committee and the Wilmington Board of Selectman supported the District’s application to the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) with applications for each of our elementary schools with a priority placed on the Wildwood Early Childhood Center.
Following a thorough vetting process of over 70 applications from communities across the state, the MSBA recognized the school building-related needs of our community given the age of our six elementary schools and extended an invitation for us into their very competitive grant program.
The MSBA represents the only school building grant program in Massachusetts and is designed to assist communities economically in school construction and renovation projects. Wilmington has recognized the value of such an opportunity when we last partnered with MSBA in the construction of the Wilmington High School. The Town has another incredibly important opportunity to seek their assistance in improving the current situation at the Wildwood School as well as an opportunity to impact our elementary schools by examining consolidation options that could improve multiple school facilities at the same time.
We are at a critical juncture in this current process as MSBA has clear and necessary steps for any community that have to be followed. The next step is set for Tuesday, March 8 at 7:00 for a Special Town Meeting that has been called at the Shriners Auditorium.
So Wilmington can continue partnering with the MSBA for the Wildwood School, it is essential that we have the community appropriate the use of funds to participate in the next phase of the process by supporting a Feasibility Study:
- A successful vote on March 8 by residents allows us to continue in this program
- An unsuccessful vote leads to our termination from the program. As a result, the community would need to absorb all costs associated with any new school construction or renovation
A few important things to share:
- Time & Location of Special Town Meeting – Tuesday, March 8 at 7:00 p.m. at the Shriner’s Auditorium, 99 Fordham Road, Wilmington
- Availability of Child Care – we have arranged to have some of our high school students, under the supervision of an adult Coordinator from our CARES Program, provide free childcare for children in PreK through grade 6 for residents who need to attend the meeting with their child(ren). If you are interested in this service, please sign-up no later than Monday, 3/7/2022 at 5 pm: https://forms.gle/imwHRtK2AE2pf5jD8
- More Information – we have tried to provide all members of our community with important information about this opportunity and we have attached here the fourth and final brochure in a series. I also welcome you to visit our website for more information about the project and/ or watch this video for a brief tour of the school.
Thank you for your understanding around the importance of this project and please consider attending the Special Town Meeting next Tuesday, March 8th.
Glenn Brand, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools & Chair, Wildwood School Building Committee