WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington is now hiring a Full-Time Deputy Treasurer/Collector. The application form can be found HERE.
Unit: ASFCME II Full Time (35 hours/week) Benefits Eligible
Reporting To: Treasurer/Collector
Location: Treasurer/Collector’s Office, Wilmington Town Hall
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Five (5) days a week
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Assist the Treasurer/Collector with administrative and supervisory work in the collection of all taxes and excises due the town; in the receipt, expenditure and custody of municipal funds; and in the management of tax title accounts; all other related work as required. Will serve as an Assistant Treasurer/Collector, as well as a Deputy Collector, in accordance with the Mass. General Laws. Incumbent is expected to be prepared to assume the role of Acting Treasurer/Collector at unexpected times.
Works under the general direction of the Treasurer/Collector.
- Performs complex and highly responsible duties in accordance with state statutes but requiring the exercise of independent judgment in supervising the collection of all receipts due the Town and in assisting with the management of town funds. Must be confidential.
- Supervises and assigns daily duties to four or fewer employees.
- Must perform work efficiently and with a high degree of accuracy as errors could be costly in terms of financial loss or extra expense to the town and in possible municipal revenues.
- Makes frequent contact with banks, vendors, the general public and all town departments and must do so in a manner that promotes a positive working relationship with all parties.
Examples of Work:
- Assists with the supervision and participates in the billing and collection of real estate, motor vehicle excise, and personal property taxes; street, sewer and water betterments; water, sewer and electric light fees; and tax title accounts; maintains record of each account. Supervises the recording of receipts; makes daily bank deposits; prepares weekly and monthly schedules of receipts; initiates transfers of town monies between bank accounts as necessary to place funds into investments or to fund disbursement of expenditures; performs other related tasks as assigned or as circumstances dictate.
- Assists in enforcing the law in regard to delinquent tax accounts; assists in the preparation of required forms and documents for tax takings, warrants, and other required collection actions. Answers inquiries from banks regarding bill payments and members of the public regarding bills due the Town.
- Assists with tasks related to archiving of Treasury Dept. records, which requires the ability to carry boxes of paper records that may weigh up to 35 lbs., and includes accurately and efficiently placing records into storage boxes and placing storage boxes into storage areas.
Education and Experience:
College graduate with Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration; or at least seven years of experience in accounting, auditing, banking, or general finance in a setting dealing with the public; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be bondable.
Knowledge, Ability, Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of the pertinent laws, legal controls, methods and procedures with respect to municipal collections and finance.
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with the public, vendors, department heads and financial institutions.
- Ability to fluently read, write and speak the English language.
- Ability to plan and assign the work of subordinates.
- Ability to prepare accurate financial reports and records.
- Knowledge of computerized billing software and general office word processing and spreadsheet software programs.
- Driver’s License and ability to drive a vehicle for short distances (approx. 2-3 miles).
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director
Town Manager’s Office
Town of Wilmington
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887-3597
or via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Deputy Treasurer/Collector” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.