WILMINGTON, MA — Below are 5 news items in Wilmington that residents are talking about (or will be talking about) on Thursday, September 30, 2021:
- The Wilmington Firefighters Union Local #1370 is raising funds to construct a memorial wall in front of the Wilmington Public Safety Building. One side of the wall will honor two fallen Wilmington firefighters — Wilbur Sheldon and Russell Prat — who were killed in the line of duty back in 1927. The other side of the wall will list the department’s retirees. The union is holding a Golf Tournament on Monday, October 4, 2021 at Hillview Country Club in North Reading to raise funds for the memorial. If you’d like to make a contribution to the memorial, Venmo a donation to @L1370 or mail a check (written out to ‘Wilmington Firefighters L1370’) to Wilmington Firefighters L1370, PO Box 270, Wilmington, MA 01887.
- After finding empty alcohol containers in the stands and around the field last Friday, the Wilmington High School administration has issued new safety protocols at the remaining home football games this season. New measures include: (1) Backpacks/bags are no longer allowed in the stadium; (2) Outside beverages are no longer allowed in the stadium; (3) There will be no re-admittance to the game; and (4) All students under the age of 12 must accompanied by an adult to enter the stadium.
- The WHS Football Touchdown Club is holding a Tailgate Package Raffle now through October 29, 2021. The prize package includes a Yeti cooler, 2 tailgate chairs, 2 stadium seats, a Super Bowl tailgate game, a Tervis tumbler, and a Bud Light hat. Raffle tickets cost $10 each. Purchase a ticket using Venmo @wilmingtontdc. Include your full name name, phone number, and number of entries. The winner will be announced at half time at the home game on October 29, 2021.
- The Wilmington High School Boys Soccer program is holding a fundraiser at Tremezzo Pizzeria (296 Shawsheen Avenue) on Monday, October 4, 2021, from 4pm to 8pm. 15% of all food orders will be donated to the Wilmington Wildcat Sideliners Club. No flyer is needed.
- Any pro wrestling fans out there? The Tewksbury-Wilmington Elks Lodge (777 South Street, Tewksbury) is hosting Chaotic Wrestling on Friday, October 8, 2021, from 7:30pm to 11pm. “A Haunting in Tewksbury” will feature Impact Wrestling main eventer Ace Austin against Chaotic Wrestling New England Champion Brad Cashew, and Chaotic Wrestling Heavyweight Champion Davienne against All Elite Wrestling-affiliated wrestler Anthony Greene. Learn more and purchase tickets HERE.