Reporting To: Historical Commission
Hours: Vary, monthly meeting attendance required (second Monday of the month, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., except July and August, 10 hours per month, 10 months per year.
Location: 430 Salem Street (Town Museum) or 121 Glen Road (Town Hall)
Application Deadline: Open until filled
A stipend position, the Clerk supports the Historical Commission in the execution of its duties, and its compliance with Open Meeting Law by providing clerical services including minute taking, meeting posting, and other assignments that support the proper functioning of the Historical Commission. Assigned work requires a 10-hour per month commitment, for 10 months per year.
Working under the direction of the Historical Commission, and in concert with the Curator, perform the following functions:
- Serve as the Clerk of the Commission, performing all necessary clerk duties for the volunteer commission.
- Notify the Town Clerk’s Office of meeting dates, times, locations, and approved agendas in accordance with Open Meeting Law requirements.
- Transcribe the Historical Commission agenda as directed.
- Assemble and distribute meeting packets to Historical Commission members in advance of meetings.
- Meeting packets include agenda, minutes, correspondence, and other documentation relevant to the agenda.
- Attend Historical Commission meetings, take and transcribe minutes of the meetings ensuring to capture motions, votes, and other key discussions and actions.
- Prepare and/or process correspondence from or received by the Historical Commission.
- Update Historical Commission and associated web-pages as needed or directed.
- Other duties as assigned and within the 10-hour per month time commitment.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to attend monthly evening Historical Commission meetings, September through June.
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 30 pounds, and push a cart which at full load may be up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume and cover letter, or completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Position: Historical Commission Clerk” in the subject. Resume and cover letter may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.