Below is a job posting from the Town of Wilmington:
Senior Clerk For Town Clerk’s Office
Unit: AFSCME II
Reporting To: Town Clerk
Base Wage Range starting at: S-4 $847.14/weekly
Hours: 35 Hours, Monday – Friday
Location: Town Hall, 121 Glen Road
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Senior Clerk position in the Office of Town Clerk is responsible for providing high level clerical support at a competent level in support of the Town Clerk and Assistant Town Clerk.
Working under the supervision of the Town Clerk or Assistant Town Clerk:
- Greet visitors and customers, answer the telephone and general emails, answer basic questions and provide general information;
- Manage department supplies and materials, and order supplies and materials as needed;
- May manage the department webpage, ensure content is timely, accurate and useful, update and add content on a regular basis;
- Reconcile daily and monthly cash and credit card receipts for submission to Town Treasurer;
- In concert with Assistant Town Clerk, accept filings of meeting notices, agendas, minutes, decisions of all town Boards and Commissions; properly files, posts all documents, ensuring timeliness and completeness;
- Issue certified copies of all town records when necessary, including certifying decisions for filing with other agencies;
- Perform searches of vital records and other town records when necessary;
- Assist in preparing Town Clerk statistical submission for Annual Report;
- Maintain department files in an orderly manner, file documents, and retrieve documents from files as requested;
- Oversee all aspects of Dog Registration and Business Certificate applications and issuance;
- Process Raffle Permit applications;
- Maintain updated roster of election workers; submit election worker payrolls in a timely fashion;
- Complete voter registrations received electronically or by mail; conduct in person voter registration;
- Assist in conducting annual Town Census, update census returns in state Centralized Voter System;
- Assist in mass inactivation of census non-respondents;
- Receive and input absentee and early ballot applications, conduct in-person absentee voting, ensure proper mailing of ballots, ensure proper processing of returned absentee/early ballots;
- Assist in election and town meeting preparation, prepare and order supplies as needed;
- Work in concert with the Assistant Town Clerk in processing birth and death records received electronically via the state Vitals Information Partnership program, printing and filing archival copies of vital records, filing appropriately, and processing requests for amendments for all vital records;
- Receive marriage intentions, administer the Oath of Marriage to couples, prepare marriage records, and ensure proper registration of returned marriage certificates;
- Work in concert with Assistant Town Clerk to ensure monthly submission of vital records to State Registry;
- Provide certified copies of vital records as requested;
- Perform other similar tasks or related works as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications/Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- High School Diploma and a minimum of two years of legal, administrative or clerical experience, preferably in a public service setting;
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work effectively with the public, both telephonically or inperson;
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing;
- Ability to properly assess costs of services provided by reference to fee charts or using basic computational skills and collect said costs;
- Experience with Microsoft Office and ability to effectively utilize Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other standard administrative software; ability to become proficient in other job-specific software and applications;
- Ability to exercise initiative and use good judgment, work with limited direction in the completion of tasks and assignments;
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple tasks in a busy office setting effectively;
- Aptitude and attention for details and accuracy;
- Knowledge of, or ability to become familiar with, Town of Wilmington bylaws and regulations, and applicable State statutes and local procedures relating to the operation of the office of Town Clerk;
- Willingness to attend training and certification programs as available and necessary;
- Willingness to apply for certification as a Notary Public upon appointment.
Work is performed inside an office, at a desk, counter or file cabinet, with even walking surfaces and generally moderate noise levels.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Position: Senior Clerk for the Office of the Town Clerk” in the subject line. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.