Below is a job posting from the Town of Wilmington:
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS: TREE DIVISION
Unit: AFSCME II
Reporting To: Director of Public Works
Hours: 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday
Location: DPW Operations, 135 Andover Street
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Supervisory and skilled maintenance work in the care and maintenance of Town-owned trees,
shrubbery, and roadside vegetation; related work as required.
- Works under the general supervision of the Public Works Operations Supervisor.
- Performs responsible technical duties requiring considerable judgement in arriving at decisions
relating to control of programs required by statute for the suppression and eradication of
invasive and problematic species.
- Makes frequent contacts with Town officials and general public.
- Exercises supervision over a small maintenance crew of usually three or fewer full-time
- Errors could result in property or equipment damage, personnel injury, waste of materials, or
delays in performing maintenance work.
- Continuous and strenuous physical effort demanded in climbing, walking, bending, standing,
and lifting or carrying equipment, tools and materials, while performing duties under
varying weather conditions.
Examples of Work:
- Supervises skilled workmen in the care of public shade trees including trimming, topping,
pruning, cabling, bracing, and spraying; removal of dead or diseased trees; stump removal, and
the planting of young trees under a planned program. Ensures newly planted trees are
- Responds to planned and unplanned emergencies related to tree damage, blocked roads, wind
events, and other natural disasters to help restore the town’s infrastructure and public safety of
the traveling public. Supervises and participates in manual work related to such.
- Supervises the Town’s Vegetation Management Program; supervises program for the cutting of
brush along town roads.
- Supervises town tree trimming by private utility crews; exercises responsibility for care of the
Town’s Urban Forestry Canopy including Public Shade Trees and town owned trees within
parks, school property, and other town parcels
- Performs and documents inspections on public trees resulting from inquiries or through
systematic urban forestry programs. May be deputized by Town’s Tree Warden to perform
Public Shade Tree Hearings in compliance with MGL Chapter 87. Adheres to Massachusetts
General Law (MGL) Chapter 87 governing Cemeteries and Public Shade Trees.
- Investigates urban canopy sustainability. Communicates and executes solutions.
- Utilizes current technology to proficiently execute assigned tasks and routine maintenance
activities. Maintain good records, both written end electronic, on work performed, man
power, equipment and supplies used.
- Investigates and resolves resident complaints in addition to assuring that daily work
orders are completed properly.
- Provides technical recommendations to the Public Works Director, Operations Manager, and
Operations Supervisor as requested. May participate in public relations activities.
- Identify, propose, and assist with the implementation of policies, procedures, guidelines and
standards that improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the division.
- Performs skilled work in assisting with the removal of town trees by operating brush
chippers, stump grinders, bucket trucks, rigging ropes, and leverage devices. Plants, trims,
cuts and sprays hedges, shrubbery and flowers; rakes up and disposes of rubbish and
leaves. Operates equipment such as bucket trucks, power-mowers, trucks, brush cutters, snow
plows, chainsaws, and string trimmers.
- Operates a variety of light motor equipment and trains subordinates in the use of such
equipment. Complies with safety requirements of ANSI Z133 safety standards for tree care.
- Performs labor incidental to the work of operating assigned equipment (changing plow blades,
maintaining saws, equipment maintenance, washing and cleaning trucks and equipment) or
other tasks when assigned.
- Performs minor repairs to equipment. Performs and supervises minor and regular preventative
maintenance on Tree Division Equipment and other DPW equipment as needed.
- Must maintain daily work records including employees’ hours.
- Participates in the Town’s snow and ice removal operation and other storm response / natural
disaster response operations during regular and non-regular work hours.
- Handles problems and complaints regarding public shade trees, vegetation management, and
damage done to private property while plowing, etc.
- Integrates with the other divisions of Public Works to fill in as needed in other work crews or
directing DPW crews outside the tree division. Working Foremen have a congenial relationship
and strive to help each other as needed.
Education and Experience:
High school graduation; five years experience in the care of trees and the application of
pesticides; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Ability, Skill:
Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in the maintenance of public
shade trees and public vegetation. Ability to supervise the work of subordinates and follow oral
or written instructions. Possession of Class B (minimum) CDL and Massachusetts Hoisting
License. Possession of a Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator’s license preferred, or the ability to
obtain one within 1 year of appointment. Ability to supervise a small work crew. Diplomacy
and good judgement in dealing with the general public.
Submit resume, cover letter and
completed application to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Human
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Position: Working Foreman Tree Division” in the subject.
Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email.
Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically and in a file
type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.