WILMINGTON, MA — After a slow start to Wilmington’s Town Election season, things are beginning to heat up. After only 2 residents pulled nomination papers during the first month of papers being available, 7 more residents pulled nomination papers over the past 2 weeks.
Lilia Maselli — Site Experience Manager for Analog Devices’ world headquarters in Wilmington, co-owner of Dandilyons Ice Cream in Reading, and member of the Wilmington Economic Development Committee — has emerged as a challenger to Selectman Chair Jonathan Eaton, who is seeking his second term on the Board.
Steve Bjork’s unexpected resignation from the School Committee has created a vacancy. The Board of Selectmen recently decided to add his unexpired two-year term to the ballot. Three first-time candidates have already come forward this week to vie for the seat — Justin Cusce, Yvonne Helbert, and Emily Irving.
School Committee incumbents David Ragsdale (seeking his second term) and MJ Byrnes (seeking her fourth term) also now have competition in challengers Michelle Guiliana and Irving, who pulled papers for both School Committee races.
Seven seats are up for grabs in the April 24, 2021 Town Election.
According to retiring Assistant Town Clerk Linda Golden, here are how things stand as of February 19, 2021:
Wilmington Board of Selectmen — 1 seats — 3-year terms
- Jonathan Eaton (incumbent) — pulled papers on 2/8 — has not returned yet
- Lilia Maselli (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/19 — has not returned yet
Wilmington School Committee — 2 seats — 3-year terms
- MJ Brynes (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/6 — has not returned yet
- David Ragsdale (incumbent) — pulled papers on 1/20 — has not returned yet
- Emily Irving (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/12 — has not returned yet
- Michelle Giuliana (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/19 — has not returned yet
Wilmington School Committee — 1 seat — 2-year unexpired term (filling the vacancy left by Steve Bjork’s resignation)
- Justin Cusce — pulled papers on 2/18 — has not returned yet
- Yvonne Helbert — pulled papers on 2/19 — has not returned yet
- Emily Irving — pulled papers on 2/19 — has not returned yet
Shawsheen Tech School Committee — 1 seat — 3-year term
- Charles Fiore, Jr. (challenger) — pulled papers on 2/8 — has not returned yet
Longtime incumbent Jim Gillis has not pulled nomination papers to date.
Wilmington Town Moderator — 1 seat — 3-year term
- No candidates
Incumbent Robert Peterson, Jr. announced at the 2020 Annual Town Meeting in June that he would not be seeking re-election.
Wilmington Housing Authority — 1 seat — 5-year term
- No candidates
Incumbent John Alefantis, who serves as the Authority’s Chairman, has not pulled nomination papers to date.
Nomination papers have been available since January 4, 2021. Papers with at least 50 valid signatures from Wilmington voters are due back to the Town Clerk by March 5, 2021.
To date, no candidate has returned their nomination papers to the Town Clerk’s Office.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.