WILMINGTON, MA — Below are 5 things to know in Wilmington on Saturday, January 16, 2021:
#1) Library Event: Social Justice Service Group For Teens
Join us over Zoom at 11am for a Social Justice Service Group meeting! Meet like-minded teens, watch and discuss a short documentary, and plan future activities. You will earn community service hours for attending. Grades 9-12. This virtual club is a joint program hosted by the Burlington Public Library, Stevens Memorial Library, Tewksbury Public Library, and Wilmington Memorial Library. Register HERE.
#2) Library Event: Virtual Poetry Circle
The Wilmington Memorial Library is holding its monthly Virtual Poetry Circle at 9:15am. Do you enjoy writing poetry? Want input on your work? If so, this group is for you. Led by local writing enthusiast, Barbara Alevras. If you are interested in attending this event, please email Assistant Director Charlotte Wood at email@example.com. Please include the title of the program in the subject heading. This event will be held over Zoom. You will receive an invite from the presenter prior to the program date.
#3) Wilmington High’s Winter Sports Season Continues
The Wildcats return to action on Saturday, January 16, 2021:
- 7am — WHS Boys JV Hockey @ Wakefield (Stoneham Arena)
- 9am — WHS Boys Varsity Basketball @ Wakefield (Wakefield High School)
- 9am — WHS Girls Freshmen Basketball vs. Wakefield (Wilmington High School)
- 11am — WHS Boys JV Basketball @ Wakefield (Wakefield High School)
- 11am — WHS Girls JV Basketball vs. Wakefield (Wilmington High School)
- 1pm — WHS Boys Freshmen Basketball @ Wakefield (Wakefield High School)
- 1pm — WHS Girls Freshmen Basketball vs. Wakefield (Wilmington High School)
#4) Wilmington Finance Committee Opening
The Town of Wilmington is accepting applications from interested individuals who would like to volunteer their services as a member of the Finance Committee. Letters of interest, or a completed application for appointment, may be directed to the Finance Committee Appointing Committee, 121 Glen Road, Wilmington, not later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, January 29, 2021.
#5) Nomination Papers Are Available For Town Election
nterested in running for an elected office in Wilmington this year?
Nomination papers are now available in the Wilmington Town Clerk’s Office. Contact the Town Clerk’s Office at 978-658-2030 to arrange pickup.
The following seats will be up for grabs in this year’s election:
- ONE three-year seat on the Wilmington Board of Selectmen (currently held by Chairman Jonathan Eaton)
- TWO three-year seats on the Wilmington School Committee (currently held by David Ragsdale & MJ Byrnes)
- ONE three-year seat on the Shawsheen Tech School Committee (currently held by Jim Gillis)
- ONE three-year Wilmington Town Moderator position (currently held by Robert Peterson Jr., who has announced he is NOT seeking re-election)
- ONE five-year seat on the Wilmington Housing Authority (currently held by Chairman John Alefantis)
Papers with at least 50 valid signatures from Wilmington voters are due back to the Town Clerk by Friday, March 5, 2021.
The Annual Town Election will be held on Saturday, April 24, 2021. Polls will be open from 8am to 8pm.
The last day to register to vote for the Annual Town Election is Monday, April 5, 2021.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.