WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington is hiring an Assistant Town Clerk. The job posting can be found HERE and below:
Assistant Town Clerk
Unit: AFSCME II Status: Non-Exempt
Reporting To: Town Clerk
Base Wage Range Starting At: S-5, $914.87/per week
Hours: Town Hall hours, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. Required to be available after-hours for meetings and other needs of the Town.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled Definition
The Assistant Town Clerk supports the Town Clerk in performing all essential functions charged to the Office of Town Clerk, generally: records management, voter registration and election administration, and registration of vital records. Performs the duties of Town Clerk in their absence.
Essential Functions Records Management
- Accept filings of meeting notices, agendas, minutes, decisions of all town Boards and Commissions; properly files, posts all documents, ensuring timeliness and completeness;
- Issues certified copies of all town records when necessary, including certifying decisions for filing with other agencies;
- Acts as back up Records Access Officer to the Town Clerk for public records requests;
- Ensures timely solicitation of various permits and filings: annual flammable permits, annual and bi-annual state ethics filings and conflict of interest training;
- Maintains records of appointments, administers oaths, ensures filing of paperwork, e.g. Open Meeting Law notices, from appointees;
- Assist in preparing Town Clerk statistical submission for Annual Report;
- Act as departmental time and attendance keeper for staff and senior workers;
- Oversees Senior Work Off program: interviews, schedules and oversees workers.
- Complete voter registrations received electronically or by mail; conduct in person voter registration;
- Maintain voter list, purging list when necessary, e.g. voter has moved or passed away, requests removal;
- Assists in conducting annual Town Census, updates census returns in state Centralized Voter System;
- Assists in mass inactivation of census non-respondents; statutory purges of voters after four years of inactivity, closing out of absentee voter records annually;
- Assists in election planning: staffing, machine programming, ballot ordering, voter machine testing, early voting in designated elections, preparing precinct supplies, forms and voting lists;
- Receives and inputs absentee and early ballot applications, conducts in-person absentee voting, ensures proper mailing of ballots, ensures proper processing of returned absentee/early ballots;
- Tracks nomination papers, petitioned warrant articles, and state initiative petitions;
- Assists in all aspects of planning for Annual Town Meeting: staffing, ensuring adequate supplies available;
- Solicits and tracks campaign finance reports; processes reports as they are received.
- Processes birth and death records received electronically via the state Vitals Information Partnership program, takes in marriage intentions and administers the Oath of Marriage to couples and prepares marriage records; processes requests for amendments for all vital records;
- Prints and files archival copies of vital records, files in appropriately protective sleeves and binders, oversees inventory and ordering of same;
- Ensures monthly submission of vital records to State Registry;
- Performs searches of vital records upon request;
- Provides certified copies of vital records as requested;
- Sends monthly invoices for Burial Permit fees.
Minimum Qualifications/Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- An Associate’s degree in management, business, information technology, paralegal or related field and a minimum of three years of legal, administrative or clerical experience, preferably in a public service setting, or any equivalent combination of experience and education;
- Ability to oversee work performance of staff, senior workers and/or temporary staff, e.g. electionworkers;
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work effectively with the public, both telephonically or in-person;
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing;
- Ability to properly assess costs of services provided by reference to fee charts or using basic computational skills and collect said costs;
- Experience with Microsoft Office and ability to effectively utilize Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other standard administrative software; ability to become proficient in other job-specific software and applications;
- Ability to exercise initiative and use good judgment, work with limited direction in the completion of tasks and assignments;
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple tasks effectively;
- Aptitude and attention for details and accuracy;
- Knowledge, or ability to become familiar with, Town of Wilmington bylaws and regulations, and applicable State statutes, relating to the operation of the office of Town Clerk;
- Willingness to attend training and certification programs as available and necessary;
- Willingness to apply for certification as a Notary Public upon appointment.
Work is performed inside an office, at a desk, counter or file cabinet, with even walking surfaces and generally moderate noise levels.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to: Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources 121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at: email@example.com
If submitting by email please use “Position: Assistant Town Clerk” in the subject line. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.