WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington is hiring a Public Safety Dispatcher. The job listing is below:
Public Safety Dispatcher
Unit: NEPBA Local 101
Reporting To: Public Safety Dispatch Supervisor
Wages: $813.23 per week
Hours: Depending on shift assignment. Work schedule is 4 days on, 2 days off. Shifts are currently 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM, 3:00 PM – 11:00 PM, 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM
Location: Public Safety Building
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Public Safety Dispatcher is responsible for providing the public with the quickest possible response to requests for police and fire emergency and general services by efficiently and diligently dispatching messages to the field units. Provides aid and support to the police officers and fire fighters by ensuring that messages are clear, concise and timely. Maintains accurate and uniform documentation procedures for all dispatch activity through proper utilization of the NG- 911 system and the department’s computer aided dispatch (CAD) system and is fully familiar with the procedures for all other data recording and entry responsibilities assigned to the Dispatch Center.
Working under the direction of the Dispatch Supervisor, perform the following functions:
- Conduct all radio transmissions according to the rules of the Federal Communications Commission and the established procedures of the Police and Fire Departments.
- Immediately answer all incoming calls on the NG-911 Emergency Lines and all other phone lines. Obtain all necessary information from the caller. Transfer calls as needed to others in the station. If the call should be directed elsewhere assist the caller in contacting the proper agency.
- Dispatch all necessary personnel and equipment according to the nature and severity of the call for service and established policies, procedures and protocols. Maintain situational awareness of field units at all times.
- Keep personnel who have been dispatched on calls fully informed of all facts affecting the safety or efficiency of their response to the calls. Maintain constant and diligent monitoring of the system and immediately respond to all requests for assistance or service from the field units.
- Provide quick and efficient service to all field units and authorized personnel requesting information on warrants, missing persons, stolen motor vehicles, Board of Probation checks, administrative messages, and other items.
- Conduct all conversations in a manner that is courteous and businesslike, making every attempt to properly assist the caller.
- Utilize the computer aided dispatch system (CAD) to record all calls for service or action that requires records be kept on the CAD. Ensure all information is correct and inputted into the proper fields. Enter all incident reports into the CAD. Retrieve information from the CAD as requested or required. Experience with IMC preferable.
- Acquire and maintain a thorough knowledge of the location and layout of streets, buildings, parks, housing projects, and other significant areas of the town so as to maximize accuracy and speed of dispatch.
- Maintain a daily log and provide reports on the daily log in accordance with department procedures.
- Continuously monitor the Fire Department’s alarm monitoring devices. Dispatch units to alarm calls and record incident information.
- Continuously monitor all security and cell cameras. Ensure that the booking camera is on when a booking is taking place, and the sally port camera is on when a prisoner is being transferred. Ensure that units are clear of exterior doors before securing doors.
- Notify the proper personnel of electronic equipment malfunctions or failures.
- Maintain a business record file of current names and phone numbers of persons to contact during an emergency. Maintain the names and phone numbers of department personnel, emergency service agencies, and support agencies or groups of respective departments.
- Provide customer service when customers approach the dispatch window in the Public Safety Building and assist whenever necessary.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Police Chief, Fire Chief, and their respective liaisons, and or Dispatcher Supervisor.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- CPR Certification required.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to multi-task, handle stress and pressures of responding to emergency situations calmly, promptly and efficiently.
- Excellent verbal, written, telephone and computer skills required.
- Ability to pass a written and audio exam administered by the Town of Wilmington.
- Ability to work a four day shift, ability to be flexible in work schedule, ability to work all three available shift schedules (currently 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM, 3:00 PM – 11:00 PM, 11:00 PM – 7:00 AM), weekends, and holidays.
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces. Noise levels vary and include telephone rings, sirens, intercom calls, and office environment noises. Work is generally performed inside a secure room, with low ambient light, multiple computer screens, and blinking lights from dispatch equipment.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, type, and activate buttons, levers, and other hand based controls. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, writing tools and other office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director Town Manager’s Office
Town of Wilmington
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887-3597
or via email at: email@example.com
If submitting by email please use “Position: Dispatcher” in the subject line. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.