WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Memorial Library held a ‘Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’ panel discussion via Zoom on Monday, August 24, 2020.
Jennifer Bryson, Boston University Education faculty member; Melanie Patterson, Boutwell & Shawsheen Schools Media Specialist; and Brittany Tuttle, the WML’s Teen Librarian, discussed how to rethink the media our families consume through an antiracist lens, encouraging participants to:
- Rethink the media our families consume, including books, movies, and TV shows.
- Discuss how our identities shape our responses to equity in our community.
- Investigate the concept of mirrors and windows in our children’s texts/media.
- Review and discuss problematic media.
- Discuss race and representation with your children.
- You will use what you learned here to continue the antiracist work we’ve started.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.