Below is a press release from Wilmington Town Manager Jeff Hull & Wilmington Health Director Shelly Newhouse:
WILMINGTON, MA — As noted in previous communications, the Board of Health has instructed 3 residents to self-quarantine which includes 1 individual previously mentioned in the School Superintendent’s communication. Two individuals that were quarantined were released today after testing negative for COVID-19. During the past week, Town Departments have worked in a coordinated manner to be proactive in trying to ensure that our schools and the community at large remain safe. It remains important to note that, at the present time, there is no known or confirmed cases of the virus in Wilmington by any member of the population.
Decisions have been made collaboratively between School and Town leadership with a goal towards slowing the potential spread and possible impact of COVID-19 here in Wilmington. to that end, the following is an outline of steps taken to date:
The Town is cancelling non-essnetial town-sponsored community events for the next (30) days. Individuals with upcoming events are encouraged to contact Shelly Newhouse, Health Director, at 978-658-4298 with questions about whether to hold the event.
Buzzell Senior Center
All regularly scheduled programs have been cancelled through April 10, 2020. The Senior Center will remain open during its regularly scheduled hours for individual consultations. Seniors are encouraged to call the Senior Center and speak with a member of the staff before traveling to the Center. Home delivered meals will continue on their regular schedule. Transportation and wellness visits will continue as scheduled. Questions should be directed to the Senior Center by contacting 978-657-7595. Also, you may check their website at www.wilmingtonma.gov/elderly-services.
Wilmington Memorial Library
All scheduled programs sponsored by the library have been cancelled through April 10, 2020. Otherwise, the library shall maintain its regular hours of operation. Questions may be directed to 978-658-3967 or you may check their website at www.wilmlibrary.org.
Wilmington Recreation Department
The Villa Roma, Jersey Boys, and Foxwood Trips have been cancelled. Several other programs including Kids Test Kitchen, Adult Open Gym basketball, volleyball, Sporst 101, Kinder Soccer and Yoga Play have been cancelled. For a full listing of status programs, contact the office at 978-658-4270 or you may check their website at www.wilmingtonma.gov/recreation.
Update From Superintendent Of Schools Glenn Brand
I am writing to provide you with an update on the situation with the Wilmington Public Schools. Please note that nothing has changed since the information shared with your yesterday. Progress has been made throughout the course of the day today in terms of the deep cleaning of our facilities. However, it has been determined that additional time is needed to complete this task. As a result, all schools will remain closed on Friday, March 13, 2020.
I also want to share with you additional information:
- The Central Office Leadership Team remains in close contact with the Wilmington Board of Health, Town Manager & the Emergency Management Committee.
- Please note that if your student is currently attending an out-of-district placement, and their school is open tomorrow, transportation will be provided.
- Please note that in addition to our school facilities, our buses will also be sanitized.
- This large situation related to the ongoing operation of our schools remains very fluid. There continues to be a steady stream of information being sent out by multiple agencies and we are closely monitoring all of this. As there is additional information to share, or decisions we might need to make in the best interest of health and safety, I will be sure to share this with you.
- We have updated content our district to provide you with one location for information on COVID-19. Please visit www.wpsk12.com/coronavirus.
I thank you for your ongoing support and patience in these challenging times.