Below is an announcement from Wilmington Superintendent Dr. Glenn Brand:
WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Public Schools recently embarked upon a search for the next Director of Athletics. The search involved multiple phases that began with the screening committee reviewing over 45 applications, interviewing 10 candidates and advancing three semi‐finalists. The second phase included site visits to Wilmington (which included a community forum) as well as to the candidate’s home district. The third and final phase involved a review of references from community members, staff and students and a thorough consideration of all of the feedback generated from almost 150 feedback forms. Ultimately, the information on the semi‐finalists was compiled and considered alongside the qualities, experiences and characteristics that our stakeholders identified as most important for the next Director of Athletics to possess at the outset of the process.
I am pleased to announce that Ms. Mia Muzio, currently the Interim Athletic Director in the Weymouth Public Schools, has accepted my offer to become the next Director of Athletics for the Wilmington Public Schools effective July 1, 2020, pending successful contract negotiations.
Ms. Muzio has extensive involvement with athletics as a head coach, student‐athlete and administrator. She also possesses wide ranging and diverse experiences in athletic leadership and management including:
- Interim Athletic Director – Weymouth High School
- Athletic Assistant – Hamilton‐Wenham Regional School District & Triton Regional School District
- Certificated as a Registered Athletic Administrator – National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association
- Awarded Level 2 Certified Interscholastic Coach status ‐ National Federation of State High School Associations
- Awarded USA Field Hockey Level I Certified Coach status
- Licensure as a Physical Education Teacher (Massachusetts)
- Registered Athletic Director (Massachusetts)
- Head junior varsity and varsity softball coach (Rockport High School & Triton Regional School District)
- Head junior varsity and varsity coach in field hockey (North Reading High School and Triton Regional School District)
Ms. Muzio enjoyed strong support across the feedback gathered throughout the site visits from coaches, administrators, community members and students. In particular, stakeholders pointed to her many strengths that include a wide array of experiences in different school districts and athletic programs, her extensive coaching experience and certification and the philosophy regarding what supports an effective athletic program related to cultivating benefits for the whole child. Additionally, insight from those reference and site visit participants identified Ms. Muzio as a leader who is visible, approachable, confident and insightful and who is skilled at interacting effectively with students, parents/guardians, coaches and her administrator colleagues alike.
Ms. Muzio holds a Master of Education degree in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education, a Master of Arts Degree in Sports Leadership from Northeastern University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Legal Studies from Ithaca College.
I look forward to welcoming Ms. Muzio to Wilmington and working closely with her in the next few months to establish a transition plan for her entry to her new role.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.