WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Memorial Library is hiring an Assistant Librarian to work in its Technology Services Department. The job posting is below.
ASSISTANT LIBRARIAN TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
WILMINGTON MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Unit: ASFCME II Full Time (35 hours/week) Benefits Eligible
Reporting To: Library Director
Location: Wilmington Memorial Library
Hours: 35 hours per week, one evening and every third Saturday shift rotation required.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Definition: Paraprofessional librarian position responsible for work related to the support of the library’s technology services and cataloging of library materials; all other related work as required.
- Working under the general supervision of the Technology Librarian and/or the Assistant Library Director.
- Assists in various computer-related projects.
- Assists in regular computer maintenance, hardware and software upgrades, etc.
- Assists in maintaining an inventory of hardware, software and licenses.
- Troubleshoots and resolves computer related problems.
- Develops and presents technology classes and provides one on one tech help to the public.
- Assists in staff training on new hardware, software and related services.
- Assists in maintenance of website.
- Routinely assess technology services to improve user experience and service delivery.
- Does a variety of tasks involved in efficiently cataloging and processing of library materials.
- May represent library at Merrimack Valley Library Consortium technical services and/or technology users meetings.
- Performs a variety of tasks at the public service desk including answering the telephone, checking in and out library materials, registering patrons for library cards, programs, museum passes, etc.
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services; uses library’s OPAC and/or a variety of online tools to locate requested information or reading material.
- Assists patrons in the use of library’s databases and electronic resources including how to download content to mobile devices.
- Assists patrons with computers, printers, copiers and other library equipment; troubleshoots as needed.
- Verbally promotes library services and programs; explains library policies in a clear and courteous manner.
- Assumes responsibility for the floor and/or building in the absence of senior staff.
- Assists in other departments and undertakes special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of library experience; or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Ability to install and troubleshoot hardware and software problems
- Knowledge of ILS operations and network applications.
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS and website maintenance.
- Ability to set priorities, complete projects independently, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate and work as a member of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and teaching skills.
- Strong commitment to excellent customer service.
Work is generally performed inside a building. Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels. Noise levels may be elevated during busy periods and/or during programs that may be scheduled in the building. Work schedule includes regular evening and rotating Saturday hours. Requires driving to other communities for meetings and workshops.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds, and push a cart which at full load may be up to 300 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors and other standard office equipment.
Submit resume, cover letter and completed application to:
Assistant Town Manager/Human Resources Director
Town Manager’s Office
Town of Wilmington
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887-3597
or via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Assistant Librarian Technology Services” in the subject. Resume, cover letter and completed application may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.