BEDFORD, MA — State Rep. Ken Gordon, who represents Precinct 3 in Wilmington as well as all of Burlington and Bedford, is accepting applications for college level internships in his office during summer 2019.
Internships at the Statehouse are unpaid. Any college student is welcome to apply. Applicants with a connection to the Gordon’s district — Bedford, Burlington or Wilmington — will be given preference.
While each internship reflects the interests of the intern, the following provides a broad outline of the program:
- Summer internships run from mid-June to the first week of August. Interns will work from the Statehouse two to three days per week
- Summer interns will have the opportunity to attend daily briefings given by Massachusetts political, nonprofit and business leaders and network with other student interns and staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting staff in legislative matters such as policy research, drafting letters of support for bills the representative has co-sponsored, bill summaries and attending legislative briefings and hearings
- Executing a long-term research project.
- Interns will select a policy area of interest to research. The project summarizes a problem, explores possible policy solutions including other states’ solutions or international solutions and proposes a solution for Massachusetts. Meaningful final projects are six to 10 written pages or an equivalent presentation. Past examples include work on driverless cars, water permitting, transportation within the representative’s district, health programs in prisons and the opioid crisis.
- Interns will meet with Gordon on a weekly basis to discuss their project.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, a cover letter detailing interest in an internship at the Statehouse and a two- to four-page writing sample to Cody.Case@mahouse.gov by April 30.
For information, call 617-722-2575 or email Cody.Case@mahouse.gov.
(NOTE: The above information is from State Rep. Ken Gordon’s Office and was originally published in the Burlington Union.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.