WILMINGTON, MA — Below are 5 things to do in Wilmington on Saturday, December 1, 2018:
#1) Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony
The Town of Wilmington’s Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony will take at 5:30pm on the Wilmington Town Common. Sponsored by the Wilmington Fourth of July Committee, this popular event will feature:
- Kiddie rides from Cushing Amusements, which begin at 4pm and end at 7pm
- Horse-drawn hayrides, which begin at 4:30pm and end at 6:15pm
- An ice sculpture sponsored by the Wilmington/Tewksbury Chamber of Commerce (Chamber member donors: Align Credit Union, CareOne at Wilmington, Fully Promoted, Lowell Five, Mark Kratman, Pearle Vision, RE/MAX Encore Jacquelyn Santini, RTN Federal Credit Union, Salem Five, Savers, The Self-Defense Institute, Winbrook)
- Wilmington Minutemen with lanterns
- A cappela group performance from WHS Soundscape
- Free cookies and hot chocolate
- Wilmington Fire Department’s Toys for Wilmington Children Drive (Bring your new unwrapped toys to the Fourth of July Building)
- Wilmington Community Fund’s annual Holiday Ornament sale
- After the ceremony, Santa Claus will be available for photos in the Fourth of July Building. (Photos will be downloadable from the Fun on the Fourth Committee’s website, but parents are also encouraged to bring their own cameras.)
#2) Festival of Trees
We’re One Wilmington is holding its 8th Annual Festival of Trees from 9am to 9pm in Villanova Hall (126 Middlesex Avenue. Admission is free for this family-friendly event. Raffle tickets will be available for $10 per sheet of 25. Try your chance at winning one of the over 100 trees, baskets and wreaths!
There will also be a bake sale, live entertainment, and non-profit fundraisers.
Live Entertainment Schedule:
- 10:15-10:45am The North Atlantic Theatre present Nutcracker Sweets
- 11:15-11:45am Jennifer Perkins, Strings
- 11:50am-12:50 pm Strings Attached – WHS
- 1-1:30pm Strings Attached – WMS
- 1:45-2:15pm Soundscape, WHS Acapella
- 2:30-3pm John Loretz & Anne Sandstrom
- 3:15-3:45pm Alison Bolanos & Audrey Laconte, clarinet duo
- 4-5pm Larry Gilbert, acoustic guitar
- 6-7pm Tom Colantuoni with special guest Alanah Colantuoni
- 7:15-8pm Paula and Steve Lowell
- 9am-3pm Sole Sisters Running Club: 5K Winter SOLEstice race registrations
- 9am-3pm Wilmington High School Basketball Club: Poinsettias and 50/50
- 9am-3pm Wilmington High School Student Council: Wildcat magnets
- 9am-3pm Wilmington Community Fund: Wilmington ornaments
- 3-9pm Wilmington CATS: Product TBD
- 3-9pm Shawsheen/West PAC: Wildcat apparel
- 3-9pm Wilmington Community Fund: Wilmington ornaments
#3) Holiday Open House at the Book Store Next Door
The Friends of Wilmington Memorial Library will hold its 2nd Annual Holiday Open House from 4pm to 7pm at the Book Store Next Door (183 Middlesex Avenue). Heading to the Town Tree Lighting or Festival of Trees? Stop by and enjoy warm cider and cookies while you shop for holiday book gifts. All holiday books are 50% off! The store will also be open its regular hours, 10am to 4pm.
#4) Writing Group At Wilmington Memorial Library
Love writing fiction? Whether you are drafting a short story or a novel, joining the library’s Critique Group is a great opportunity to meet other writers and get constructive feedback in a supportive environment. The group meets the first Saturday of every month at 9:15am at the Wilmington Memorial Library (175 Middlesex Avenue). Open to all experience levels writing in all genres. Led by local writing enthusiast, Barbara Alevras. Register HERE.
#5) Drop Off Your Leaves
The Town’s Recycling Center, located off Old Main Street at the Wilmington/Woburn line, is open for leaf and brush drop-off from 9am to 4pm. Only Wilmington residents are allowed to use the facility. Residents must show an ID at the entrance to the facility. No grass clippings will be accepted. No contractors or commercial vehicles will be allowed. Residents using the Recycling Center must purchase a punch card for $15 which will be good for 5 visits to the center. Punch cards may be purchased Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Treasurer’s Office at Town Hall. Cards purchased previously that have unpunched visits are still valid.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank You To Our Sponsor: