WILMINGTON, MA – Wilmington Public Schools is currently hiring a minivan driver, according to a job listing posted on October 31.
Application Deadline: Posted until Filled
Posted: October 31, 2018
Starting Date: Immediately
Position Type: Part-time
Positions Available: 1
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential functions or duties listed below are illustrations of the type of work that is performed and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for by this position. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Transports special education and general education students requiring transportation as designed and as directed by the Transportation Coordinator and/or District Administration.
2. Transports students for field trips and other charters as requested by the Transportation Coordinator and/or District Administration.
3. Provides any other student transportation services throughout the regular workday as requested by the Transportation Coordinator and/or District Administration.
4. Assists in transferring children to and from minivan, ensuring student safety at all times.
5. Attends transportation department meetings as requested.
6. Participates in training sessions as provided and/or required by Wilmington Public Schools or governmental agencies.
7. Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Notice of Non-Discrimination
All educational and non-academic programs, activities and employment opportunities at Wilmington Public Schools are offered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, homelessness, age and/or disability, and any other class or characteristic protected by law.
• Possession of a School Pupil Transport (7D) Certificate.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR and first aid certifications.
• Some experience working with special education students is desirable.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Basic understanding of the general needs and behavior of children as well as awareness of the physical requirements and emotional needs of children with disabilities.
• Demonstrate an understanding, patient, and receptive attitude toward children.
• Ability to react professionally and objectively to unpredictable situations (e.g. environmental changes, behavior/aggression, seizure activity, etc.).
• Ability to carry out assigned duties safety and effectively.
• Ability to successfully complete basic first aid, CPR, restraint, and other required training.
• Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community.
• Ability to communicate clearly.
• Understand confidentiality requirements regarding student information.
• Ability to implement emergency preparedness procedures when circumstances require.
Workday may include providing limited transfer of students into and out of minivan. The employee must also occasionally lift or position students to accomplish transport, including securing students with vehicle seatbelts. The employee must be able to communicate effectively with students, parents and other staff members in person and on the telephone. The employee may be exposed to unanticipated student behavior. While transporting students, the employee must be able to see and hear on a continuous basis in order to ensure the safety of students, as well as speak frequently to provide instruction. On rare occasions, it may be necessary to move quickly across even or uneven surfaces. The employee may need to occasionally lift and/or move fifty (50) pounds without assistance.
The employee will be working in a normal school and transport environment with an acceptable level of noise. The employee interacts with students, parents and other staff members and occasionally must meet multiple demands from several people.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience preferred
- High School/Trade School degree preferred
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Andrea Armstrong, Human Resources Director
161 Church Street
Wilmington, Massachusetts 01887
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.