WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington recently posted the following job listing for a Payroll & Benefits Coordinator.
Reporting To: Town Manager
Wages: $48,615 – $61,515
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30AM – 4:30PM
Location: Town Hall
Application Deadline: November 2, 2018
The Payroll & Benefits Coordinator is responsible for the accurate and complete processing of weekly payroll for town employees, administering mandatory and voluntary deductions from wages, and administering employee enrollment, modification and termination of benefits. The Payroll & Benefits Coordinator will work closely with
the Town Accountant’s Office, employees, the town’s benefits providers, applicable retirement systems, and department leadership to ensure payroll and employee records are accurate, current, and complete, and payroll and benefits actions are timely and well documented.
Working under the direction of the Town Manager performs the following functions:
• Collect weekly payroll and attendance from town departments, including documentation regarding out-ofgrade assignments, paid details, overtime, and other non-weekly earnings, ensure payroll and attendance submitted is complete and accurate.
• Manage, process, and verify weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly payroll deductions including mandatory deductions, retirement, voluntary benefits premiums, and garnishments.
• Manage coding system for earnings and deductions, ensure it is logical, complete and accurate and aligns with appropriate department accounts. Ensure earnings and deductions are accurate, and updated as changes occur in categories including annual cost-of-living increases, transfers, promotions and demotions,
changes in benefits premium deductions, and garnishments.
• Enroll, un-enroll, and make other changes to benefits including managing enrollment files with health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, flexible spending, deferred compensation, garnishments, and other categories.
• Maintain electronic employee records through town’s accounting/payroll software; enter, activate, deactivate, and update status of new, terminated, promoted, transferred, and retired employees.
• Calculate retroactive pay, process final payouts for terminated/retired employees, notify COBRA administrator as applicable, and make all required changes to employee record.
• Coordinate with Middlesex Retirement and MA Teachers Retirement systems, ensuring correct salaries,
deductions, and other information are applied to existing active and retired employees.
• Prepare reports, forms and other documentations or communications.
• Ensure employees and retirees receive excellent service, investigate complaints or issues related to payroll, benefits enrollment and utilization, and paid-time off.
• Assist in annual open enrollment activities including open enrollment notification and Benefits Fair.
• Identify, propose, and assist with the implementation of policies, procedures, guidelines and standards that improve the effectiveness and efficiency payroll and benefits administration.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s degree in business administration or similar field of study or relevant combination of education and experience related to payroll and benefits functions, municipal, or office administrative functions.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, laws and regulations related to employee earnings and benefits.
• Detailed oriented and ability to manage processes that require accuracy.
• Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with employees, retirees, and department heads.
• Ability to exercise initiative and good judgment, to set priorities and complete efforts independently and as a member of a team.
• Excellent verbal and writing skills.
• Experience with Microsoft Office products and ability to effectively utilize Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other standard administrative software.
Work environment is characteristic of an office environment, with even walking surfaces and generally low noise levels.
The work is generally of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Frequently required use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reaches with hands and arms, bends, stoops, kneels, and/or crouches. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. Required to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Submit completed application, resume and cover letter to:
Town Manager’s Office
Attn: Assistant Town Manager/Director of Human Resources
121 Glen Road
Wilmington, MA 01887
or via email at:
If submitting by email please use “Position: Payroll & Benefits Coordinator” in the subject line. Completed application, resume and cover letter may be attached as a PDF to the email. Please note, we will not reformat or fix formatting issues if sending electronically in a file type other than PDF.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.