WILMINGTON, MA — The Department of Veterans’ Services in Wilmington would like to remind everyone that the Town of Wilmington’s Memorial Day ceremonies will start Saturday May 26, 2018 at 8:00 am with the decoration of all the Veterans’ graves at the Wildwood Cemetery, followed by the decorating of all the Veterans’ squares and memorials around Wilmington starting at 10:15 am.
There will be a rededication ceremony on Wilmington common Sunday May 27, 2018 at 1:30 pm.
Wilmington’s world famous Parade will step off from the Market Basket parking lot at 10:00 am sharp on Monday May 28, 2018. The youth groups will form at the Wilmington House of Pizza and will be placed in the parade by a parade official. The bands, Honor Guards and all the adult groups will meet at the Market Basket parking lot. The parade will head down Main St, turn left down Rte. 62 and proceed to the Wildwood cemetery.
The Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery will start at 11:00 am sharp.
Please come out and enjoy Memorial Day weekend and remember all those who have served and those who have given their life to defend our freedom. This year marks the 15th year Anniversary of beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The public is invited to attend all of the following events over this Memorial Day weekend to honor the fallen Veterans who paid the ultimate sacrifice:
Saturday May 26, 2018
8:00 A.M. Decoration of Veterans’ Graves at Wildwood Cemetery
10:15 A.M. Decoration of all Squares and Memorials
Sunday May 27, 2018
11:00 A.M. Mass at United Methodist Church, Wilmington
1:00 P.M. Rededication of Parks, Squares, and Monuments
- Police Station Monument
- Memorial Shrine – Saint Thomas of Villanova
1:15 P.M. Town Common Reading of all squares and names
At Veterans Monument on Town Common – Rededication of Following Squares:
- Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial – Wilmington Memorial Library
- Robert W. Parent Memorial – Old Town Hall, Middlesex Avenue
- Rogers Park – Middlesex Avenue by Town Pound
- Ronald Eaton Square – Glen Road and Main Street
- Missing at Sea Sailors – Silver Lake at Main Street
- John F. Landry Jr. Memorial – Main Street at Silver Lake
- John J. Fullerton, Jr. Memorial – Grove Avenue
- Richard Welch M.I.A. Memorial – Main Street and Bridge Lane
- Nee Park – Burlington Avenue and Chestnut Street
- Berrigan Park – Lower Main Street and Cook Avenue
- John A. Rich Memorial – Lowell Street near Textron
- Veterans Memorial Bridge at Lowell Street
- Drew Square – Woburn Street and West Street
- Butterworth Square – Federal and Concord Street
- Regan Park – Salem Street
- Old Soldiers Lot – Wildwood Cemetery
- WWI Cannon – Wildwood Cemetery
Monday May 28, 2018
9:30 A.M. Parade formation – Adult Groups at Market Basket Parking Lot / All Youth Groups at Wilmington House of Pizza
10:00 A.M. Parade Starts – Main Street to Church St. to Middlesex Ave. to Wildwood Cemetery. (All cars use the Wildwood Street Cemetery Entrance.)
11:00 A.M. Veterans’ Lot and Soldiers Monument – Ceremonies
(NOTE: The above information is from the Wilmington Department of Veterans Services website.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.