WILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Little League is looking for both junior and patched umpires for the 2018 season. What better way to see a game then from on the field while earning a few extra dollars? No prior experience is needed.
Junior Umpires Criteria:
- Must be at least 13 years-old.
- Must have reliable transportation to the Wilmington Little League fields (Rotary Park, Glen Road, North School, Boutwell School).
- Mandatory training will be provided one day a week in March and April prior to the season at a local school gymnasium.
Junior Umpire Responsibilities:
- The umpire will arrive fifteen (15) minutes prior to the schedule game time.
- The umpire will officiate youth baseball games to the best of their ability.
- The umpire will talk with each coach before the game and review any ground rules, unusual circumstances or local field hazards.
- The umpire will remain unbiased while umpiring contest and will avoid verbal contact with spectators.
- The umpire will approach his/her position as a representative of Wilmington Little League, displaying respect for the facility, participants, parents and coaches.
- Keep track of game time
New and returning umpires should register on the Wilmington Little League website. They will be contacted about days and time for training in February.
For additional question please reach out to WLL Junior Umpire Director Brian Kane at yankeekane[at]yahoo.com.
Patched Umpires Criteria
- Must be at least 18 years-old.
- Training will be provided by the Greater Lowell Baseball Umpires Association.
- Wilmington Little League will reimburse the candidates the cost of the class provided training is completed, the rules test is passed and the umpire officiates 10 games for Wilmington Little League during the 2018 season.
- Training will take place at Tufts University (419 Boston Ave, Medford, MA) every Sunday, 6pm-8pm, beginning February 11th and running through April 1st.
For additional information and to register, please contact WLL Umpire Director Rick Hill at WilmingtonLL[at]outlook.com.
(NOTE: The above information is from the Wilmington Little League.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.