WILMINGTON, MA — Below is a round-up of what’s going on in Wilmington on Saturday, October 14, 2017:
In The News:
- Recognition for Wilmington Fire Lt. Bill Cavanaugh: Cavanaugh was recently named a finalist for the Massachusetts Fire Department’s 2017 Fire & Life Safety Educator of the Year Award. He was nominated by Wilmington Elderly Services Director Terri Marciello for his work in educating seniors in fall prevention and fire safety, plus his work with Wilmington Public Schools. “I thought, ‘What better person to be nominated than Lt. Cavanaugh,” Marciello told Kori Tuitt of the Lowell Sun in an article published yesterday.
- Weather: A chance of showers, mainly after 9am. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Yardwaste: The Town’s Recycling Center (Old Main Street) is open from 9am to 4pm for leaf and brush drop-off. [Read more HERE.]
- In The Community (Part 1): The 3rd Annual Tony A 5K takes place at 9am, beginning on the Wilmington Town Common. Registration opens at 7:30am at the Fourth of July Building. Learn more about the event HERE. If you can’t make the 5K, consider making a donation to the Scholarship Fund and Tony’s girls’ college expenses HERE.
- In The Community (Part 2): The Friends of the Wilmington Memorial Library’s Book Store Next Door (183 Middlesex Avenue) is open from 10am to 4pm. All books are $2 or less! Every penny of every sale benefits the Wilmington Memorial Library. Learn more HERE.
- In The Community (Part 3): The Wilmington Food Pantry (142 Chestnut Street) is open from 10am to noon for food donation drop-offs. Learn which food items the Pantry is most in need of HERE.
- In The Community (Part 4): During all masses at St. Thomas and St. Dorothy’s this weekend, the Charities Committee will be holding a Food and Cleaning Product Collection for parish families in need. Donations may be left at the entrances of both churches on both dates.
- At The Library: Saturday Baby Times at 9:30am. Dads & Donuts at 10:30am. [Learn more and register HERE.]
- At School: Wilmington High is hosting the PSAT this morning.
- Reunion News: The WHS Class of 1967 is holding its 50th Reunion from 6pm to 10pm at Lenzi’s Restaurant (810 Merrimack Street, Dracut).
- On WCTV: Read WCTV’s Executive Director Shaun Neville’s latest weekly blog post HERE.
- Go Wildcats!: The WHS Boys Varsity Soccer Team hosts Billerica at 2pm at Wilmington High. The JV team hosts Billerica at 2pm at the Woburn Street. The WHS Girls Soccer Teams are taking a field trip to the Boston College Girls Soccer game tonight.
(NOTE: What did I miss? Let me know by commenting below, commenting on the Facebook page, or emailing email@example.com. I may be able to update this post.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.