WILMINGTON, MA — Below is a round-up of what’s going on in Wilmington on Monday, October 9, 2017:
In The News:
- Former MBTA Transit Police Officer and Wilmington resident Jennifer Garvey was found guilty of assault & battery and filing a false police report after she attacked a bystander at Dudley Station. Garvey was convicted in July and is serving a 6-month sentence. Now, according to the Sunday Boston Globe, Garvey’s bosses may be in some hot water, after it has come to light that they ignored repeated warnings of Garvey using excessive force, including 11 formal complaints about her conduct.
- Wilmington Selectman Kevin Caira was included in a piece published yesterday by the Lowell Sun about whether Christopher Columbus should be viewed as a hero as advocates push to rename Columbus Day as Indigenous Peoples Day. “It’s unfortunate what’s taking place now to take away the name of Columbus,” he said. “That’s just not right… You don’t impose 21st-century law on a 15th-century explorer,” said Caira, who also stressed Columbus’s impact on trade and commerce in the Americas.
- Check out this neat Twitter account (@whsrecognizes) that recognizes Wilmington High School (MA) student achievement:
- Weather: Rain and thunderstorms are likely in Wilmington. Patchy fog after 9am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 74. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Happy Columbus Day! Town offices, schools, library, and senior center are closed today, as are banks and the post office. Retail stores are open at the owner’s discretion. Market Basket, Lucci’s, and Elia’s Country Store are open.
- Trash & Recycling Delayed: Wilmington’s residential trash and recycling collection will be delayed this week by one day due to the holiday.
- On WCTV: Read WCTV Executive Director Shaun Neville’s latest weekly blog post HERE.
- Go Wildcats!: SIX WHS teams are in action today, including the Boys Varsity Soccer team at Lexington at 10am and the Girls Varsity Soccer team hosting Lexington at 10am. [See the full schedule HERE.]
(NOTE: What did I miss? Let me know by commenting below, commenting on the Facebook page, or emailing email@example.com. I may be able to update this post.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.