BILLERICA, MA — Members and guests of the Middlesex Canal Association are invited to a pleasant walk and talk on the remnants of the Middlesex Canal on Sunday, October 15.
Those planning to join the walk should meet at 1:30pm at the Middlesex Canal Museum and Visitors’ Center (71 Faulkner Street, Billerica).
The route follows the canal for a round trip of approximately 3 miles south of the Concord River. Sites to be visited include: two guard locks; an anchor stone and the ‘peninsula’ at the opposite ends of the floating bridge that once carried the towpath across the Concord; the 1825 iron bolt pond-level reference; the “deep cut”; a smallpox memorial marker; and stretches of canal some of which are still watered.
The walk will take 2-3 hours, rain or shine, over generally level wooded terrain and streets.
The walk will be led by Robert Winters and Marlies Henderson.
This is a joint walk sponsored by the Appalachian Mountain Club and the Middlesex Canal Association
(NOTE: The above announcement is from the Middlesex Canal Association’s website.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.