WILMINGTON, MA — Here are TEN things you need to know in Wilmington for Friday, May 19, 2017.
#1) According to the National Weather Service, it will be mostly sunny in Wilmington, with a high near 83. West wind 7 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
#2) Wilmington Public Schools will hold its 5th Annual Art Show on Friday, May 19, 2017, from 6pm to 8pm, and Saturday, May 20, 2017, from 10am to 2pm, in the Wilmington Middle School Cafeteria. Selected artwork from all grade levels and all eight schools will be on display. Admission is free. Donations, however, will be accepted, with all proceeds benefiting the Joanne Benton Memorial Scholarship Fund. Students, parents and the general public are invited to this popular event. Light refreshments will be served.
#3) St. Dorothy and St. Thomas Catholic Churches will celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima on Friday, May 19, 2017. Both churches will welcome the Immaculate Heart of Our Lady of Fatima Statue in honor of the 100th Anniversary of the Apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal in 1917. The St. Dorothy visit will begin with a 8:30am Rosary followed by a 9am Mass, with Reflection/Visitation Hours until noon. The Statue Custodian will present a brief talk on the Message of Fatima and the World Apostolate of Fatima at 9:30am in the church’s hall. The St. Thomas visit will begin with a 2pm Mass and Rosary, with Reflection/Visitation Hours until 6pm. Learn more HERE.
#4) The 7th Annual 100 Hungry Wildcats Fundraiser takes place at 7pm at the Tewksbury Knights of Columbus Hall (2068 Main Street). Tickets for this fundraiser are still available. There are only 100 tickets being sold for the drawing, each with a chance to win prize money totaling $2,500. Your donation of $100 per ticket includes:
- Entrance into the drawing — First Prize: $1,500, Second Prize: $500, Third Prize: $250, Fourth Prize: $250
- Buffet dinner for two
- Raffle prizes throughout the night
If you would like to purchase a ticket or need information, please call Kevin Caira at 508-633-2681 or Jack Cushing at 978-604-2443 as soon as possible. All proceeds from the event will help support the student athletes of Wilmington High School.
#5) The Wilmington Memorial Library (175 Middlesex Avenue) is holding TWO programs:
- Drop-In Storytime (10am-11am)
- R.E.A.D. Middle Grade Book Club (3:45pm-4:45pm)
Learn more and register HERE.
#6) The Wilmington Senior Center (15 School Street) is holding its regular Friday activities:
- Video Exercise (10am)
- Special Exercise (11am)
- Bingo (1pm)
- Cards (1pm)
Also, Doris’ “Craft Corner” will take place at 10am. Learn more HERE.
#7) There are several WHS sports teams in action today:
- 3:30 pm (A) Boys Varsity Tennis vs Melrose High School @ Melrose High School
- 3:45 pm (A) Boys Varsity Baseball vs Burlington High School @ Shawsheen Technical
- 3:45 pm (A) Boys JV Baseball vs Burlington High School @ Center Street Field
- 3:45 pm (H) Boys Freshman Baseball vs Burlington High School @ Wilmington Middle School
- 3:45 pm (A) Girls Varsity Softball vs Burlington High School @ Marvin Field
- 3:45 pm (A) Girls JV Softball vs Burlington High School @ Rotary Field – Burlington
- 4:00 pm (H) Boys Varsity Lacrosse vs Burlington High School @ Wilmington High School
- 5:15 pm (A) Girls JV Lacrosse vs Burlington High School @ Burlington High School
- 5:30 pm (H) Boys JV Lacrosse vs Burlington High School @ Wilmington High School
- 7:00 pm (A) Girls Varsity Lacrosse vs Burlington High School @ Burlington High School
#8) The WHS Boys Varsity Lacrosse team is holding its Senior Game at 4pm at Wilmington High.
#9) TODAY: Dunkin’ Donuts is offering Frozen Dunkin’ Coffee with a complimentary sample (3.5-ounce) from 10am to 2pm at participating Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants nationwide, while supplies last. Learn more HERE.
#10) Welcome to the Wilmington Police Department’s soon-to-be newest officers!
(NOTE: What did I miss? Let me know by commenting below, commenting on the Facebook page, or emailing email@example.com. I may be able to update this post.)
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.