WILMINGTON, MA — The American Red Cross is conducting THREE blood drives in Wilmington next month:
- On Wednesday, March 2, from 9am to 2pm, at Shriners Auditorium (99 Fordham Road)
- On Tuesday, March 22, from 2pm to 7pm, at Wilmington Masonic Lodge (32 Church Street)
- On Wednesday, March 30, from 10am to 3pm, at Transwestern (200 Ballardvale Road)
Interested donors can call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to book an appointment, but walk-ins ARE welcome.
Here are some important facts about blood and the blood donation process, from the Red Cross’s website:
- Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- More than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- Although an estimated 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate, less than 10% actually do each year.
- Donating blood is a safe process. A sterile needle is used only once for each donor and then discarded.
- Blood donation is a simple four-step process: registration, medical history and mini-physical, donation and refreshments.
- Every blood donor is given a mini-physical, checking the donor’s temperature, blood pressure, pulse and hemoglobin to ensure that it is safe for the donor to give blood.
- The actual blood donation typically takes less than 10-12 minutes. The entire process, from the time you arrive to the time you leave, takes about an hour and 15 minutes.
First time donor? Haven’t given blood in awhile? Read this checklist so you know what to expect.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.