WILMINGTON, MA — The search to replace retiring WHS Athletic Director Ed Harrison has begun.
Wilmington Public Schools began advertising for a new Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Health on Wednesday. The posting can be found HERE. Key highlights of the posting is below:
TITLE: Director of Athletics, Phsyical Education and Health
STARTING DATE: July 1, 2016
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Superintendent or his/her designee, the Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Health will provide overall leadership and coordination among the various Interscholastic Athletic, Physical Education and Health programs and has responsibility for student programming/activities, and budgets within the Athletic Department. The Director also collaborates on programming, curriculum and budget for the High School Physical Education and Health departments. He/she is responsible for the supervision and evaluation of all professional and non-professional staff assigned to him/her.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Physical Education and Health
• Provides instructional leadership and promotes student activities and behavior that is supportive of and conducive to the strengthening of the instructional program.
• Oversees the maintenance of standards concerning students’ health, safety and general welfare.
• Partners with High School Principal in the recruiting, screening and training of the 9-12 Physical Education and Health staff.
• Supervises and evaluates all High School Physical Education and Health teachers by assisting them in their professional tasks; recommend non-renewal of a contract when reasonable professional expectations are not met.
• Organizes and supervises professional development for 9-12 Physical Education and Health educators, in coordination with district and building-based professional development initiatives and schedule.
• Actively collaborates with the K-12 Physical Education and Health Liaison to provide a comprehensive and sequential K-12 curriculum for all students.
• Provides leadership and oversight of curriculum alignment to Massachusetts State Frameworks incorporating the Common Core State Standards for each grade, 9-12, or course in Physical Education and Health curriculum.
• Selects and/or develops, revises and maintains curriculum/courses of study for the district reflective of current educational thought and trends and in concert with the school district’s goals and objectives and Department of Education curriculum frameworks.
• Serves on various system-wide curriculum and program development committees.
– Evaluates and support continuous, comprehensive implementation of standards and strong vertical alignment of 9-12 Physical Education and Health curriculum
– Supports development, implementation, and data review of District Determined Measures for 9-12 Physical Education and Health curriculum
– Contributes as an active member of district Instructional Leadership Teams as needed
– Participates on district administration leadership team
• Supports High School Principal in supervision, coverage, or leadership responsibilities as needed.
• Prepares annual budget requests for Athletics and assists in preparation of 9-12 Physical Education and Health departments.
• Participates in annual budget process to present needs for curriculum textbooks, materials, and resources.
• Facilitates the purchase of all equipment, instruments, and supplies for the Athletics and 9-12 Physical Education and Health departments; monitor inventory and rental protocols
• Assists in developing the philosophy of athletics with the High School Principal.
• Arranges schedules for athletic practices, games, and events.
• Participates with the High School Principal in selecting coaching candidates and making recommendations to the Superintendent.
• Directs, supervises and evaluates the performance of coaches in accordance with School Committee Policy. This includes a pre-season meeting between the Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Health and coaches to establish goals and expectations; frequent attendance of practices as well as games; a post-season meeting to provide feedback and written evaluation.
• Ensures that all coaches receive from each student athlete participation forms and medical evaluation forms from parents and doctors prior to taking part in any practice session.
• Provides copies of written evaluations to the Superintendent and the High School Principal; makes renewal recommendations to the Superintendent and the High School Principal.
• Plans, provides and/or recommends programs for the professional growth and development of staff (i.e. training/coaching techniques, safety, first aid and CPR training).
• Establishes the physical and academic eligibility for participation in each sport and verifies each athlete’s eligibility as per those requirements and the requirements of the MIAA. Enforce appropriate citizenship standards for all student athletes.
• Works to assure that all legislation regarding athletic activities is carried out by the Wilmington Public Schools Athletic program and coaching staff.
• Sees that all MIAA and MSSAA rules are met by the Athletic programs.
• Serves as liaison between student athletes, coaches and college athletic programs. Ensures compliance with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules, and coordinates on-site visits by college coaches.
• Keeps records of game results, maintains files of annual awards and recognition to the athletic program participants.
• Develops and organizes processes and procedures for the selection of the athletic team award recipients.
• Attends and serves as school liaison at all Wilmington Booster Association meetings.
• Develops and recommends to the high school administration and School Committee appropriate rules and regulations governing the conduct of all interscholastic athletic activities.
• Prepares and administers the athletic program budget.
• Attends Middlesex athletic league directors’ meetings.
• Attends athletic events regularly.
• Manages scheduling and transportation for all off-site events
• Makes necessary arrangements for use of all playing fields and facilities for interscholastic athletic programs.
Position Type: Full-time
Positions Available: 1
Equal Opportunity Employer: Wilmington Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
• A Master’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university with a preference for concentration in physical education, sports management, or an allied field.
• A minimum of five years of successful experience as a coach and teacher required.
• Proven leadership ability as demonstrated through head coaching or other leadership roles as an educator or coach desirable.
• Valid Massachusetts teacher certification required, certification in Health or Physical education is desired.
• Valid Certification as Supervisor/Director or Secondary Principal/Assistant Principal or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment is required.
• Knowledge of the Massachusetts State Frameworks incorporating the Common core State Standards.
• A working knowledge of the overall operation of an interscholastic athletic and high school physical education and health program.
• Ability to work flexible hours and days as determined by the needs of the student athletic programs. Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience preferred
• Master degree preferred
• Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
CLOSING DATE: February 22, 2016
Joy Jartman, Human Resources Administrator
161 Church Street
Wilmington, Massachusetts 01887
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.