WILMINGTON, MA – At last night’s School Committee Meeting, Wilmington High Athletic Director Ed Harrison gave a synopsis of the 2014-2015 WHS Winter Sports Season.
The following student athletes were highlighted:
- Amber Peach (Girls Basketball) was a Middlesex League All-Star.
- Connor Bennett (Boys Basketball) was the Middlesex League MVP for the Freedom Division and a Boston Globe All Scholastic.
- Steve DeFuria (Boys Hockey) was a Middlesex League All-Star.
- Fox Maxwell (126lb), Alex Ripianzi (132lb), and Sam Jennings (152lb) were all named Middlesex League All-Stars for wrestling.
- Cecilia Chase (55m dash), Samantah Pitzi (300m dash), Julia Gake (600m dash), Elisabeth Olson (mile), Danielle Baldi (long jump), and the 4×400 team of Cecilia Chase, Taeya Peroni, Danielle Baldi & Shannon Horgan were all Middlesex League All-Stars.
- Ben Rohleder (hurdles & high jump) and Evan Sperlinga (55 meter dash) were Middlesex League All-Stars.
- At the Division III State Meet, Rohleder finished fourth with a school record time of 8:45 in the 66 meter hurdles and qualified for the All-State Meet.
- 4×400 Meter Relay Team of Dan Bell, Kevin Goncalves, Nathan Vince and Evan Sperlinga, and 4×200 Meter Team of Dan Bell, Evan Sperlinga, Deven Langenfeld and Brad Aldrich qualified for the Division State III Meet.
The records and accomplishments of each team’s were also discussed:
- The Boys Varsity Basketball Team, coached by Joe Maiella, finished 10-11, with a league record of 8-8. The team lost in the first round of the state tournament to Marblehead.
- The Girls Varsity Basketball Team, coached by Brie Karow, finished 6-14, with a league record of 5-11.
- The Boys Varsity Hockey Team, coached by Steve Scanlon, finished 8-10-4, with a league record of 4-7-4.
- The Girls Varsity Hockey Team, coached by Michael Gautreau, finished 4-12-2, with a league record of 3-10-2.
- The Varsity Wrestling Team, coached by Joel McKenna, finished 6-15, with a league record of 0-4.
- The Girls Winter Track Team, coached by Brian Schell, finished 1-4 overall and in the league.
- The Boys Varsity Track Team, coached by Michael Kenney, finished 3-2 overall and in the league.
- The Cheerleading Squad, coached by Nicole Minghella-French, finished first place at the league meet; fifth place in Regionals; and sixth place in States.