READING, MA — A winter storm has been forecasted for our area Saturday night into Sunday, and RMLD is taking steps to be prepared in the event of power outages. Below is some useful information to help customers prepare.
Before a Storm – Be Prepared
- Make an emergency kit. For MEMA’s Emergency Kit Checklist, visit http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/mema/be-prepared/kit/.
- Have plenty of non-perishable food, drinking water, and pet food on hand.
- Have first aid supplies and prescriptions on hand.
- Have flashlights, spare batteries, candles, and matches available.
- Fill your car’s gas tank in case pumps aren’t working.
- Charge your cell phone, tablet, and laptop to full capacity.
- If your water supply could be affected by a power outage, fill your bathtub with water to flush toilets. DO NOT use this water for drinking
- Turn your refrigerator/freezer up to the coldest setting to keep food cold if the power goes out. Remember to reset to normal once power is restored.
- If you have a generator, make sure you know how to safely use it and that you have a sufficient amount of gasoline on hand. NEVER install or run a generator inside.
- Find out if your town intends to open shelters and where they will be located.
- Be prepared with books, puzzles, cards, and board games to keep the family entertained.
During A Storm — Be Informed
Where to Find Outage Information:
- Area outages and, if possible, estimated time of restoration (ETR) will be tweeted. Follow us on Twitter at @readinglight. Our twitter feed is also streaming on our website.
Reporting an Outage:
If you’re able, check Twitter or our website before reporting an outage as we may already be aware of it. If the outage has not already been reported:
- Call RMLD at 781-942-6598 or 781-944-1340. Please be patient as there may be several people calling at once.
- CLICK HERE to report an outage online.
If You Lose Power:
- Minimize opening and closing your refrigerator/freezer as much as possible to keep the cool air inside. During cold weather, you can put food in a sealed container (to prevent animal access) and put the container outside to keep food from spoiling. Only do this if it’s safe to go outdoors.
- Unplug your electrical devices (TV, DVD player, microwave, computer, stereo, etc.) that are not plugged into surge protectors. When power is restored, wait a few minutes to plug devices back in.
- Follow the safety instructions of local authorities.
Downed Power Lines:
- Report downed power lines to RMLD or local emergency personnel immediately.
- Always keep your distance and never drive over downed power lines.
- Do not touch anything that may be in contact with downed power lines such as trees, fences, guardrails, etc.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.