WILMINGTON, MA – Former Wilmington Superintendent Mary DeLai, who resigned on Monday, October 3, 2016 after the School Committee became aware of her August OUI, was hired by Watertown Public Schools as their Interim Business Manager on November 14, 2016.
According to a new report in Watertown News, DeLai was recently been promoted to Watertown’s Assistant Superintendent of Schools, effective July 1, 2017.
This newly created position, “Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Operations,” requires licensing for both a business manager and superintendent or assistant superintendent. In addition to her finance duties, DeLai will taking on additional responsibilities, including overseeing the school system’s IT department.
The announcement was made by Watertown Interim Superintendent John Brackett at the Watertown School Committee’s May 1 meeting.
After the announcement, Brackett, Town Council President Mark Sideris, and Watertown School Committee members all praised DeLai for her performance over the past six months, noting her “professionalism” and “strong work ethic.”
“Thank you to the Watertown School Committee and the team in Watertown,” DeLai said at the meeting. “Everyone has been welcoming and I look forward to working with the outstanding group of educators and leaders.”
While DeLai quickly found employment after her exit from Wilmington, she continues getting paid by the district through June 30, 2016, due to the separation agreement reached between her and the School Committee.
Where The Wilmington School Committee Is Currently At With Its Search (I Think)
- The School Committee has currently “paused” its search for DeLai’s permanent replacement.
- The Committee brought back former Superintendent Joanne Benton to serve as Interim Superintendent after a 5-1 vote on October 19, 2016.
- Benton resigned due to health reasons on March 31, 2017.
- Upon receiving the news of her resignation, the School Committee unanimously decided to delay its permanent superintendent search, which began in early February. (41 candidates applied prior to the March 6, 2017 deadline).
- Director of Administration and Finance Paul Ruggiero was then selected to take over as Interim Superintendent on April 1, 2017.
- The School Committee reiterated the “pause” in the search at its April 12, 2017 meeting.
- Benton tragically passed away that same night — April 12, 2017.
- The Committee has yet to publicly discuss the status of the search since that meeting. The topic is, however, on the agenda of its Wednesday, May 10, 2017 meeting.
Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.